Chameleon breed difference

rango123veiled

Established Member
My chameleon is having a couple of problems but im already covering that in in another post, right now what i want to know is if there is an difference between the ambilobe panther chameleon, and the panther chameleon. I know for a fact mine is a ambilobe but is there a difference between the too or is an ambilobe panther chameleon the mascot of all panther chameleons, the blue bar panther chameleon everyone knows of and the over all breed that has different styles THX.

My chameleon is having a couple of problems but im already covering that in in another post, right now what i want to know is if there is an difference between the ambilobe panther chameleon, and the panther chameleon. I know for a fact mine is a ambilobe but is there a difference between the too or is an ambilobe panther chameleon the mascot of all panther chameleons, the blue bar panther chameleon everyone knows of and the over all breed that has different styles THX.
They’re the same species, just from different locales.

So your chameleon is a panther chameleon. The ambilobe is your panthers locale which describes what part of Madagascar they originated from and will dictate its color.

there color does not seem to far off though?
Depending on who you purchased them from you can usually get a pretty good idea of what yours will look like. A lot of the reputable breeders on here will send you all the info they have and some pics of the sire. Obviously every cham is different, so it won't look exactly like every one you see in this locale. Just a general idea :)

Isn't there some debate that they may be different species? Not that it changes much.
You have a point there, but I think, at best, they’d be considered subspecies, if the taxonomists ever make up their minds. In any case, different locales can cross breed to produce fertile offspring. Interesting fact, two individuating anatomical structures for speciation is hemipene structure and lung structure. Weird, eh? Mellerii are supposed to be borderline Trioceros because of their lung structure and some of the almost identical kinyonga are distinguished by their man junk. Weird!

You have a point there, but I think, at best, they’d be considered subspecies, if the taxonomists ever make up their minds. In any case, different locales can cross breed to produce fertile offspring. Interesting fact, two individuating anatomical structures for speciation is hemipene structure and lung structure. Weird, eh? Mellerii are supposed to be borderline Trioceros because of their lung structure and some of the almost identical kinyonga are distinguished by their man junk. Weird!

Thanks, yeah I was just pointing it out as something interesting that's popped up in the past. I'm no expert on that kind of thing. Of course we have cross locales. Similar thing with roaches, they can hybridize(which is generally looked down upon). I keep my species of the same genus away from each other to be safe.

Thanks, yeah I was just pointing it out as something interesting that's popped up in the past. I'm no expert on that kind of thing. Of course we have cross locales. Similar thing with roaches, they can hybridize(which is generally looked down upon). I keep my species of the same genus away from each other to be safe.
I think you’re right here. Just curious, can hybrid roaches reproduce? If so, it’s no wonder they’re top contenders to take over the world once we extinct ourselves.

I think you’re right here. Just curious, can hybrid roaches reproduce? If so, it’s no wonder they’re top contenders to take over the world once we extinct ourselves.

Yup they sure can. Fun fact, most all discoids and many other blaberus roaches are actually a big funky hybrid mix(unless you seek out pure strains). Same thing with common stock hissers. I've heard that pure strains breed faster, but also some say they breed slower lol... IME, my pure discoid colony(collected from banana bay florida) breed very fast. They do look a little different than my large colony of common stock discoids too.

Yup they sure can. Fun fact, most all discoids and many other blaberus roaches are actually a big funky hybrid mix(unless you seek out pure strains). Same thing with common stock hissers. I've heard that pure strains breed faster, but also some say they breed slower lol... IME, my pure discoid colony(collected from banana bay florida) breed very fast. They do look a little different than my large colony of common stock discoids too.
No to hijack this thread, but any info on cross breeding parthenogenic species?

interesting question
Is that technically possible since no fertilization occurs With parthenogenesis?
TMK, parthenogenesis and sexual reproduction aren't necessarily mutually exclusive; some species (not necessarily chameleons) can reproduce by either method—others cannot.
IDK precisely which species of chameleons are parthenogenetic—exclusively or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom