Chameleon Bravado

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have been observing some interesting behavior. First I have my male, Scar, in my office with my macaw. At first I thought this may not work, as I thought he may perceive her as a predator.

Well moving forward, it did not bother him. In fact a while back he had climbed on her cage and was badly injured.

Well he'll never do that again right? well he does. I do worry about this obviously, and am working on a solution.

The interesting thing is they seem to have come to a balance. He will go to great effort to get to that tall "bush"/cage even with a large bird in plain sight, but is more aware of her and keeps a distance. The bird seems to not care as long as the cham is not coming to her.

Now nobody panic, this is all under close supervision, and has a greater purpose. I have become curious as to how chams, perceive and deal with threats. I also find the drive to explore this "new" domain , in the cham eyes, interesting. He is so willing to seek this new territory, that he will take great risk. Is it pure sex drive ?

Another interesting thing is that he was trying to bite/eat a large plastic bead, like the size of his head, now way of getting it in his mouth. Was this a search for food? or just a curiosity ?

So if this cham if not overly frightened by this bird, what can the get use to. Is this a factor of it being the same bird? would he behave different to a different bird every day? I cant do this, but am curious.

Part of my goal here it to get Chams out of back rooms, and out where the are better enjoyed. Many keepers keep them in rooms with little contact, where I am sure the cham likes this, is it necessary? We know they can be fine with busy activities with one, or maybe two people. I am sure may owners can attest to this. But what are their limits ?

If you live alone and you cham is in the front room. At which point would it become uncomfortable for the cham? Is it 1 guest a night, does it need to be the same guest, would different people every night make a difference.
Is there more familiarity to faces or actions? I believe there is likely some of both.

So that is my babble for the day. I just want chams out where the can be enjoyed like I am able to enjoy mine. I work with a cham over my shoulder 40 hours a week min, and my other is in the master bath, so lots of in and out there. All in all I am observing chams for more than 60 hours a week.

Back
Top Bottom