Chameleon Body Building

Bio123

Recently, I have tried to give my chameleon a workout. Compared to when I got him, and for his age (6 months) he seems to be very healthy and active. My form of workout consists of letting him chase his prey actively ( no worms, all flying feeders ), running from predators ( camera lens, he runs after he bites it :D ), and etting him explore steep terrain ( from sofas to messy bed sheets ). I have also given him soothing warm water baths that are shallow enough for him to have a foot hold, but deep enough for him to swim in. Do you guys think this can extend his life and intensify his over all health and color?

depends on if hes getting stressed is he puffing up at all? is he getting dark spotted color or dark colors such as brown or dark blue or red...or even black? NIX the water thing...give him a nice cham shower instead...put him on a nice tall houseplant ...stick it in the shower aim the shower head water at a wall and let it bounce off onto the plant...this will help with hydration and let him clean his skin and eyes...never leave him unatended though. remember chams shouldnt be handeld very often,....there fun to play with but you shouldnt ever do it....i only take mine out when its cleaning time...its kinda like those signes that says ..."you can look but dont touch"

I keep him on a constant watch when giving him a shower. He does not puff. In fact, he brightens his colors when doing these "exercises." Does the spray from a shower head hurt the chameleon. Won't the chlorine burn it's eyes?

To me, it just sounds like you are stressing the chameleon out which could in turn shorten his life.

You are supposed to spray the warm water at the wall so the smaller water droplets bounce off of the wall onto your cham, a nice warm mist. Also, if you have real hard water i'd suggest getting a thing for your shower head to reduce the hardness. Like a water purifier. Some chameleons do like to be handled and who knows, maybe you have one that likes adventure :D I know Molly would much rather sit on my hand than sit on a branch in her cage.

no the chlorine wont burn eyes if you have hard water do what the post says above....cham showers have bneen done for ages.

If the water burns your eyes it will burn your chameleon's eyes. I don't know where in the world OOOst16 got the idea that it wouldn't.

then explain as to how you give your cham showers? people have done this forever! THERE HAS BEEN A PREVIOUSE THREAD ABOUT CHLORINE. THE FINAL ANSWER WAS NO. SINE WHEN DOES SHOWER WATER STING YOUR EYES? POOL WATER DOES YEAH BUT WHO WOULD USE POOL WATER IN THE SHOWER OR ON A CHAM ? MY GOSH! if you have a high chlorine content in your water ( you will be able to smell it) then get a shower head purifyer

Try opening your eyes under the shower. There may not be any chlorine in some water, but it still hurts because its not the same ph balance (among other things) as your eye. Showers can be done, and CAN be beneficial, but can also be stressful.

I know when I open my eyes and get the mist/spray from the water in my eyes it doesn't feel pleasant.

people, some people have harder water than others. Obviously if your shower water burns your eyes it's going to burn your chams eyes. But if your shower water does burn your eyes then you need to get a tap water purifier for it, that is not healthy for your skin and definitely not your chams. But if the water you use does not burn your eyes and there is no smell to it (like copper or chlorine) it will be safe. There is no need to argue over such a simple topic.

Yes let me clarrify, if it stings AND smells like chlorine or metal get a purifier. Ordinary tap water does also sting like PSSH said.

yes PSSH is completely right...it can be stressfull....were not saying shower him everyday ....its just used as a rehydrating tool....you can make your own judgment on how strong your chlorine is ...mine isnt high at all so my cham has no issues....and quite frankly he loves the shower. i totaly agree with you jump...but jake keeps nit picking at me and its angering me...THERE ARE multiple threads on this and all have the same answer.

Well, doesn't warm tap water contain chlorine? When I give my cham a bath, I put a water conditioner in the water, removing the chlorine and the smell. Let's all stop hating...

Baths aren't usually recomended unless they have a sperm plug/vent issue because chameleons can drown in very shallow water. It's probably just best to scrap the bath thing as it probably stresses him out. They aren't like snakes, chameleons belong in trees. :)

then explain as to how you give your cham showers? people have done this forever! THERE HAS BEEN A PREVIOUSE THREAD ABOUT CHLORINE. THE FINAL ANSWER WAS NO. SINE WHEN DOES SHOWER WATER STING YOUR EYES? POOL WATER DOES YEAH BUT WHO WOULD USE POOL WATER IN THE SHOWER OR ON A CHAM ? MY GOSH! if you have a high chlorine content in your water ( you will be able to smell it) then get a shower head purifyer

Some people have water that is not ridden with chlorine, and some do. Maybe you should try thinking before you type something, and from the unbelievable amount of writing errors in every post you make, it is very apparent that you do not.

If you thought for a second before hitting submit reply you may have noticed that I said," If the water burns your eyes it will burn your chameleon's eyes". Therefore, some people can give their chameleons showers without any problems. Some people cannot without getting a purifier.

There you go again, giving terrible advice.

Just to make it clear for Bio123, just test your water, open your eyes in the shower and allow for the water to get in your eyes. If it burns too bad for you to handle it, I wouldn't suggest you shower him without a water purifier.

little late because ive alredy said most of that along with other people...all of that has been coverd.

Recently, I have tried to give my chameleon a workout. Compared to when I got him, and for his age (6 months) he seems to be very healthy and active. My form of workout consists of letting him chase his prey actively ( no worms, all flying feeders ), running from predators ( camera lens, he runs after he bites it :D ), and etting him explore steep terrain ( from sofas to messy bed sheets ). I have also given him soothing warm water baths that are shallow enough for him to have a foot hold, but deep enough for him to swim in. Do you guys think this can extend his life and intensify his over all health and color?

Interesting ideas...

I wouldn't "take" him out as in handling him everytime you let him go to the next obstacle... such as letting him walk on the sofa and then picking him up and taking him to the bed spread...and so on...

If you want him to get more active, I would recommend building him a more open cage. Like a free range room. (search free range)

Place tons of plants, and a bunch of wooden poles and sticks and vines throughout a small room... Or just build him a much bigger cage.

Chameleons running from something because they're frightened isn't beneficial in any aspect.

Baths aren't a good thing.

Showers are fine. Place a cage in the tub with lots of live plants in it. Let the shower head hit the wall so it creates a rain fall like effect.

Keep in mind, warm to us is hot to them. They're cold blooded, keep the water a tiny bit warmer than luke warm. If your chameleons runs away from the water it could possibly mean its too warm or too cool.

Try your best to not handle your chameleon. These are display pets, and very territorial animals. Great for pictures, observing, and of course, handling when needed!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom