Chameleon bites?

CDON

My male chameleon snaps at me when I try to pick him up and I'm scared he will bite me. Does a bite hurt and how can I get him to come out more peacefully

Peter has bitten me twice now. It doesn't hurt bad, it just scares the living s*** out of me because it's startling :p

If you work with him enough, you'll probably be able to tame him a bit so he won't do that. Hand feeding is the best way to do that, if you can get him to trust you enough to do it.

There's also the possibility that he will never really start to trust you. I'd like to think that's rare, but I can't say that for sure without that level of experience.

Peter has been trusting me a bit more recently--hand feeding him roaches. He loves that and is showing brighter colors, but he still snaps at me when I go to pick him up to bring him outside or anything. Only time will tell if he'll quit...

Ok I guess I will have to grow some balls and just go for it and hope he does not bite. My guys does not hand feed so that is why i am stuck

Ya it just scares me. I wish he would hand feed but he just puffs at me and won't quit.

Try putting on a sweatshirt and holding the end of the sleeve so it covers your hand and gently letting him walk onto it. If he does bite he will just get a mouthful of shirt and may soon learn that there is no point in biting you. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't.

How are you picking him up? It is usually best to slowly put your hand under his front legs until he climbs on you.

The bites are not bad at all, at least from veileds and panthers. The smallest bite or scratch from a cat even while it is playing is much worse than a chameleon bite :)

Grey shouldn't bother him but you shouldn't grasp him. You should let him step onto your hand.

Another thing you could try is taking him out by allowing him to step onto a stick you hold in front of him. Always move slowly when you are working with him too.

I got him out today and he did not bite me. It was a success !!:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 196
Don't let him bite loose flesh, it can cutt. Let it get the whole finger maybe going forward to prevent getting the loose flesh. Just feels like pressure on your finger. Usually since they are kinda slow, my hand is swift to get in, touch its body, and slowly move it, being gentle.

My two cents.

Yea its Def more of a shock than any level of pain.. Mine was the same for 6 months plus but no longer so agro..

Back
Top Bottom