Chameleon Biology Question

nicolie85

Okay, so my chameleon who has MBD has a back leg that is not looking so good. After taking him to the vet for his MBD, I put him back in his cage. He climbed up the screen a few inches and fell to the bottom. Immediately afterwards, his back right leg was spinning around in the socket like his tail sometimes does. I think the spinning was his way of trying to find balance or he was looking for something to hold on to. Anyway, that was about a month ago and I hoped the leg would look better but it doesn't. When I look at it closely, it almost looks like the leg is out of the socket. Can chameleon legs come out of the socket or am I crazy? If so, can I try to fix it myself. I really can't afford another vet trip right now, but I want to help him in any way I can. Any advise? :(

Okay, so my chameleon who has MBD has a back leg that is not looking so good. After taking him to the vet for his MBD, I put him back in his cage. He climbed up the screen a few inches and fell to the bottom. Immediately afterwards, his back right leg was spinning around in the socket like his tail sometimes does. I think the spinning was his way of trying to find balance or he was looking for something to hold on to. Anyway, that was about a month ago and I hoped the leg would look better but it doesn't. When I look at it closely, it almost looks like the leg is out of the socket. Can chameleon legs come out of the socket or am I crazy? If so, can I try to fix it myself. I really can't afford another vet trip right now, but I want to help him in any way I can. Any advise? :(

just reading your post, make me cringe:eek:
As far as whether it's possible or not, i am guessing it's possible.
If human can, why not chameleon?

How on earth you will be able to play a chiropractor role on chameleon's bone?
Can't you ask your parent to let you borrow some money to go to the vet?

How have you been treating the MBD, and how has it progressed?
Are you using a current UV tube that's been purchased in the last 6-8mo?
I'm also very concerned for this guy :confused:

How have you been treating the MBD, and how has it progressed?
Are you using a current UV tube that's been purchased in the last 6-8mo?

I have been treating the MBD with NeoCal once everyday as prescribed by my vet, a brand new ReptiGlo 5.0 bulb, and I bought silkworms that are easier to eat than crickets (his tongue is in recovery still from the MBD, but he is using it). He was on Baytril as well for three weeks as prescribed to be on the safe side from any possible infections. I also leave him alone as much as possible to reduce the stress factor.

Can't you ask your parent to let you borrow some money to go to the vet?
I know I probably sound like some dumb kid, but I'm not. I have been living on my own for a little while now and funds are not easy to come by. My mom just lost half the hours from her job (real estate business) and I don't really talk to my dad. I can afford food and such for my little guy right now but if I take him to the vet I may be living on the streets. Yeah! I am really at a loss on what to do. I am really attached to Buddy, but I feel terrible since I am pretty much broke.

I'm sure all you guys are wondering why I have a pet if I have no money, but funds are only tight right now. Everything was fine at the time I got him and I felt financially secure.

Maybe you should consider trying to find him a home where he can be properly taken care of. A chameleon is a very expensive animal to keep and can be very hard to keep alive. Jann

Since I know that the MBD is my fault for not educating myself enough about chameleons, I feel it is my responsibility to help him recover. The little guy was an impulse gift from my boyfriend and neither of us knew what it would take to properly care for him. We didn't have anything right in the beginning (setup, supplements, etc.) and now it's too late to change what I have done. If I could find someone willing to take on his care I would gladly do so. I would never consider a pet store though, those people usually really such with reptile care.

You could try talking to the vet about the money. Quite a few will work with you and see what they can give for freebies etc. Maybe they can cut out the exam fee and just charge meds. Esp if you were just there.

Be nice about it, don't demand, just see if there is anything they can do for you. Also so vets let you pay your bill back in payments. Or there is a card called CareCard that is a credit card with 0% rate for 6 months or so that you can apply for that is just for health care.

Also see if there is a reptile rescue in the area that has a vet they work with. Maybe they can help.

Just wondering why he was on baytril?
But, i am worried about the bone thing...
A vet is the only way for now.

I agree with you on not bringing the cham to a reptile store.

Thanks to everyone for not ripping me a new ***hole over the money thing like I expected. I am doing my best. Anywho, the Baytril was for the puffy eye I had originally taken Buddy to the vet for. One day I came home and his eye was puffy and would not go down. The vet said he had MBD, so I took him to the vet for two reasons instead of one. The vet flushed out his eye and had no explanation for the puffiness and simply prescribed Baytril to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the suggestions about the vet, I will call and see what they can do for me.

Everything that you said sounded alright. Maybe when you call you could also say it's like a re-check, like a secondary issue from the MBD, and it is usually significantly cheaper than the usual exam fee.

Back
Top Bottom