Chameleon Behavior

Jacob Altman

I am just curious about something, so can a Chameleon get MBD at any age?? Even younglings? If lets say my Chameleon is acting strange, like walking like he/she is drunk, can’t hold on to vines etc.. is that MBD or is it something else. Only asking this because I’ve seen this happen twice now….

Welcome to the forum.
I am just curious about something, so can a Chameleon get MBD at any age?? Even younglings? If lets say my Chameleon is acting strange, like walking like he/she is drunk, can’t hold on to vines etc.. is that MBD or is it something else. Only asking this because I’ve seen this happen twice now….
First, we're not veterinarians here. MBD can happen at any age, but It could be a number of things.
An enclosure review (below) wouldn't hurt, but I'd start looking for herp veterinarians near you.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful. [EDIT: Please include pics of your enclosure from top (lighting) to bottom (substrate/drainage)].

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Please post a photo or two showing your chameleon from the side.

Are you sure your chameleon isn't doing the leaf/waddle walk?
Walking fast when this happens? Trying to get away from you?

Yes a chameleon can get MBD at any age. MBD is usually the result of improper care so you’d also look for incorrect UVB and supplements paired with the unusual behavior. I’d suggest reading more about MBD: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Has anyone reviewed your care and enclosure yet?

No it’s worse than that, it falls over on its side because it can’t hold grip of itself, or have the strength. And it’s like that without messing with him, just watching him walk around.

Yes a chameleon can get MBD at any age. MBD is usually the result of improper care so you’d also look for incorrect UVB and supplements paired with the unusual behavior. I’d suggest reading more about MBD: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Has anyone reviewed your care and enclosure yet?
So i will be straight forward with this, i work at a Petco (i know not the greatest) and i know we are considered a box store that carries different things and animals. Not strictly one thing. But i have had two different customers have this happen too, the chameleons are acting drunk and can’t keep themselves up, can’t really grip onto anything. They just fall over a lot. (Even when not being handled) the second time it happened i want to get an answer and i know you guys aren’t veterinarians, we do take all animals to a specific vet that does exotics under our 30 day guarantee. But i have no idea about the setup for the second customer we’ve had. I always try and go out of my way for customers, im really good with some reptiles. I personally own a bearded dragon.

A healthy chameleon should not be falling or struggling to walk so it’s definitely not normal. Do you have any pictures of the chameleons? MBD usually results in curved bones/limbs making it pretty obvious when a chameleon has it.

So i will be straight forward with this, i work at a Petco (i know not the greatest) and i know we are considered a box store that carries different things and animals. Not strictly one thing. But i have had two different customers have this happen too, the chameleons are acting drunk and can’t keep themselves up, can’t really grip onto anything. They just fall over a lot. (Even when not being handled) the second time it happened i want to get an answer and i know you guys aren’t veterinarians, we do take all animals to a specific vet that does exotics under our 30 day guarantee. But i have no idea about the setup for the second customer we’ve had. I always try and go out of my way for customers, im really good with some reptiles. I personally own a bearded dragon.
Are they overdosing on D3? This seems to be pretty common with the big box stores.... Chameleons like Panthers and Veileds should ONLY have supplements that include D3 or vitamin A two times a month on their feeders. Then all other feedings they have to have a phos free calcium without D3 supplement on their feeders. All supplements should be lightly dusted on feeders. Jacksons require even less supplementation.

While MBD is also a concern because big box stores do not use the correct UVB lighting and then cham kits are sold with incorrect lighting. MBD you would see bowing to the limbs and even miss shaped mouths...

If you want a crash course in proper chameleon care utilize this site. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

And I would refer anyone interested in buying a cham to that site as well. Most of the issues owners have that we see here is that they are not informed properly about the extensive husbandry required for chameleons. Most are not even told that the female panthers and veileds will lay eggs regardless of being mated.

Welcome Jacob! What uvb lighting are you using? The screw in uvb lights don’t work for chams. They don’t give off enough uvb. You need the long linear bulbs in a long linear T5ho fixture. The bulbs recommended are either a reptisun 5.0 or the arcadia 6%. You do not want the compact screw in reptisun 5.0!

Back
Top Bottom