Chameleon babysitting - need some help

szpond

When this veiled got to me, it was obvious of the slight dehydration and URI. No bubbles, but a popping/clicking noise constantly. Puffed up even at night. I have talked to the owner and we will be seeing a vet together when she returns.

My main issue is this: at a very young age, we sexed her. Female. Saw no spurs. Looking now (she is 8-9 months old and still very small for this age) I can see spurs...this pic shows them pretty well.

Can we say 100% male from this picture? She's stressed enough as it is, I'm trying to avoid taking her out unless necessary.

2zjax3t.jpg

9icsu9.jpg

I'll be giving the family further tips on their set-up and how to avoid URI.

I have pretty much been treating him as a juvenile with feeding, he can really put it away and still has much room to grow. Should we be concerned of his small size for his age?

I am going to take out the laying bin they have provided. I am baffled that I see male now, when I saw female back around 2 months old. When I take it out I will try to get a hand photo so you can see size.

I have been offering water throughout the day, haven't seen a drink but the eyes look better already!

One last thing: the vet around me knows roughly about chameleon care. Should I just explain to her his symptoms and that the necessary antibiotic would be Baytril? So far, that is what I have read. She was really a great vet for my cham when he needed surgery. She really did her research.

I mean, I see spurs now, but I distinctly remember not seeing spurs back then! :eek: And that there were a few of us sexing this cham.

I am just baffled, honestly.

They're small, but they're there. The shed makes it a bit hard to see in some pics, but the last one is a good, clear shot.
Good luck with the little one! I hope his owners take your kind advice.

How young was he when you first sexed him? Usually you can sex veileds right away but sometimes the spur is hard to see for the first 2 months or so if the baby is small.

I would have a fecal done as well to make sure no parasite is hindering the growth of the chameleon

How young was he when you first sexed him? Usually you can sex veileds right away but sometimes the spur is hard to see for the first 2 months or so if the baby is small.

I would have a fecal done as well to make sure no parasite is hindering the growth of the chameleon

I will recommend that to her as well! I am not certain she's done a chameleon fecal before (our local vet) - but I'm certain she would have done other reptile fecals.

Approx 2 months old for sexing him first. I may have even posted a thread about it, I'll have to look.

Took the laying bin out and he'll have privacy the rest of today. Thanks all!

Are you sure it's the same one?
I'm glad you are available to help him!

Whoops passed over this post. Yep, actually! This is my first time seeing him since then, and I'm pretty nervous over his small size still. He doesn't look starved to me, but I intend to sit down with the owner and ask about their feeding habits. And she'll be getting gifts from me...a functioning dripper, more fake and real pothos...;)

Whoops passed over this post. Yep, actually! This is my first time seeing him since then, and I'm pretty nervous over his small size still. He doesn't look starved to me, but I intend to sit down with the owner and ask about their feeding habits. And she'll be getting gifts from me...a functioning dripper, more fake and real pothos...;)

You're awesome! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom