Chameleon at an animal shelter

Hello, stranger, I see you and the kids, on trips and in the backyard. Nice to see you here.

We have lots of reptile people here. I am sure some are in your area. If you need people to adopt some reptiles just post a list. Might help thin the amount it the room.

Now don't be a stranger!!

Hello, stranger, I see you and the kids, on trips and in the backyard. Nice to see you here.

We have lots of reptile people here. I am sure some are in your area. If you need people to adopt some reptiles just post a list. Might help thin the amount it the room.

Now don't be a stranger!!
I knew I could rely on you! They aren't adoptable yet, or even able to be fostered, there are ongoing legal issues. Plus I'm pretty sure that once that is all sorted they're all going to have to come live with me because nobody else is good enough [emoji6]

I haven't been able to go back and see him after my initial visit yet. They have me down for Mondays and Tuesdays, but I don't officially start until tomorrow morning.

I've had some incredibly generous donations from our wonderful board members, not heard back from Petco yet, but I'm going to go to my regular store today and see if the manager is able to donate anything I need.

I know you would love to have all those reptiles.:D Now at least in your beautiful home. Heaven knows the girls would love them.

Now I need a pm telling me what is going on.

Look at the change in this young man! Though I think he's actually an older fellow. I spent over $300 at Petco today, mostly light fixtures and UV bulbs, though they were selling some tropical roaches off cheap, the savannah monitors really loved them!

There's no drainage on the cham enclosure, it's just a regular Reptibreeze. I misted him a lot, but way too much water was collecting by a power outlet. I ended up taking out a big branch ornament and putting him in the dog washing station! I put the shower against the wall but the pressure wasn't high enough to splash back, so I arched it over him to give him a light spray and mist. He loved it and drank from the branch for a while.

He's so so sweet, such a change from my grumpy girl! Obviously he's weak so I took things slowly, but he willingly climbed on my hands and up my arms before looking for toeholds on my face. He didn't even try to gape or hiss, though I could tell he was wary, especially when I was hanging extra vines and leaves in his enclosure.

The shelter are buying crickets and supers almost every day from a local independent pet store, but are setting up a cricket tank to buy in bulk and save a little money. I was there 3 hours today, it took took that long to clean everyone and feed them over 100 crickets and 20 supers, plus a few giant roaches.

I brought one of the baby beardies home today, I'm taking him to my vet to get his foreleg injury treated. I suspect his foot can't be saved, and as he likes sitting on dragons, my youngest thought Hiccup would be a good name for him!

Could you take another look at the panther in these pictures? I know what boys look like when they're feeling fancy, and now I know what they look like when they're sick and miserable, but I don't know how they look when they're just chilling.

Lastly I'd like to thank you all for being wonderful, I've had amazing, helpful advice, and this lucky cham has some delicious donated bugs heading his way!! You are all so wonderful, the cham world is brighter for having you in it!

uploadfromtaptalk1439322354188.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1439322373929.jpg View attachment 110607

Attachments

• 20150811_140143.jpg
    20150811_140143.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 20150811_134043.jpg
    20150811_134043.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
It looks like he's already made a nice recovery.

His colors will become more vibrant as he continues to get the nutrition he needs. Feed him lots of bugs!

Well done!

What an improvement!!! Wow I can't believe in that little bit of time he's turned around so much. What ever you are doing just keep doing it. I'm so happy to see him turning around. Those first pics you posted were heart breaking. He has def made it to the right home!!

I was in again today, he was excited about the dripper, pretty much rain to the top of the cage and wrapped his face around it while I cleaned and fed all the other guys. I showered him for about 10 minutes afterwards but he was really fidgety and just wandered about trying to climb stuff. Hoping that's a good sign, the first time he sat fairly still washing his eyeballs and drinking.

I checked on him right before I left and he wasn't as black as before, he kept most of his colours fairly bright, but not quite shower happy!

He's bordering on garish, I can't bear it...

uploadfromtaptalk1439837223211.jpg

Ghann said 5,000 crickets will arrive on Thursday! Let me know if they are ok, I sent 2 sizes.:)
I'm so sorry, Laurie, the shelter said they didn't receive any crickets yet. Could they have been delayed or held at the post office?

I'm so sorry, Laurie, the shelter said they didn't receive any crickets yet. Could they have been delayed or held at the post office?

Aw Crap, to late to call Ghann, but I will check tomorrow. I am really sorry. They always get me crickets to me on time.

Aw Crap, to late to call Ghann, but I will check tomorrow. I am really sorry. They always get me crickets to me on time.
No need to apologise, Laurie! I should have checked with them sooner. I'm hoping shipping was delayed, or the box was held at the post office. The shelter staff have no reptile experience and may have been creeped out by bugs.

Anyone following his progress, please feel free to PM me for the shelter address if you'd like to donate. They are especially in need of feeders. There are around 20 different reptiles, from teeny long-tailed lizards up to big grouchy Savannah monitors. They get through so so many crickets each week, I'd love for the sickly ones to get more of the good worms too, they REALLY helped the chameleon turn a corner.

I've literally put my money where my mouth is, I've spent over $300 setting them up with appropriate heat, light, and housing, and I'm volunteering there 2 days a week, cleaning and feeding. Plus covering vet expenses for the worst ones.

Anything you can spare to help these poor animals would be so appreciated! A big part of my motivation is that I'm so frustrated with irresponsible people thinking reptiles are cool, buying more than they can care for, then just dumping them literally out in the street. We are the good examples! uploadfromtaptalk1439859852870.jpg

Back
Top Bottom