Chameleon asleep for 30ish hours straight?

BrittBepler

So I'm driving from DC to Maine and it's roughly a 9-10 hour drive. We leave at 6am, so my lil guy will have just been asleep from the night prior (7pm) to when I wake him the next morning (10.5 hours later) at 5:30am to place him in his box for the car ride 30 mins. later. This means he'll be asleep (hopefully) for an additional 10 hours, then we arrive around 4pm, he'll go back to sleep 3 hours later around 7pm. This means he'll have to be asleep back to back: 10.5 hours (night prior) + 10 hours (car ride) + 12 hours (that regular night time sleep) = 32.5 hours almost back to back. Is this ok? Is this possible? I have no idea if chameleons can actually sleep this much. Thanks!

If they're sleeping that much. It' due to being in a stressful situation and it's not really good for them.

If they're sleeping that much. It' due to being in a stressful situation and it's not really good for them.
That’s not the issue; due to driving far for a day and the schedule it’s more of a forced sleep schedule; he normally sleeps only at night and is fine.

That’s not the issue; due to driving far for a day and the schedule it’s more of a forced sleep schedule; he normally sleeps only at night and is fine.
Headed to Maine from DC for at least 1 month, possibly 2 to be with my mother and it's easier to bring him with me, than board him somewhere strange or have a stranger come into my home every other day. Can't fly with him, so driving instead.

Headed to Maine from DC for at least 1 month, possibly 2 to be with my mother and it's easier to bring him with me, than board him somewhere strange or have a stranger come into my home every other day. Can't fly with him, so driving instead.

On one hand you could compare it to shipping where he's in a box for 16-24 hours.

Alternatively you can use the butterfly pop up idea to allow some activity / light. If you have space consider building up a small Rubbermaid and fashion a screen lid or side to make airflow and the light cycle closer to normal. I thought you were driving there and back and just bringing him along. Best of luck on the drive hope you make good time.

I use a Rubbermaid with two sticks fixed to the sides to transport my guy to the vet / when I've moved to a new place. Cutting the top and replacing with screen takes maybe 6 minutes once you've got the materials and a hot glue gun warmed up lol
Measure twice glue once

On one hand you could compare it to shipping where he's in a box for 16-24 hours.

Alternatively you can use the butterfly pop up idea to allow some activity / light. If you have space consider building up a small Rubbermaid and fashion a screen lid or side to make airflow and the light cycle closer to normal. I thought you were driving there and back and just bringing him along. Best of luck on the drive hope you make good time.

I use a Rubbermaid with two sticks fixed to the sides to transport my guy to the vet / when I've moved to a new place. Cutting the top and replacing with screen takes maybe 6 minutes once you've got the materials and a hot glue gun warmed up lol
Measure twice glue once
Great advice, thanks! I did read somewhere that keeping them in a dark place is less stressful bc if he can see around then he might get too stressed about what's going on? Also, I've been finding bird things are becoming gadgets to use for chameleons, like this transporter for a bird that might work for a chameleon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QY72K48/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A30RHELLP57CWW&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom