Chameleon and bird zootonic diseases

Panther678

Apart from salmonella theres not a lot of other diseases a chemelon can give to a human or other pets right. Also with birds they cant pass any diseases to a chemelon right.

Apart from salmonella theres not a lot of other diseases a chemelon can give to a human or other pets right. Also with birds they cant pass any diseases to a chemelon right.
I would think it depends on if the chameleon has any parasites and what exactly those are. You should always be washing your hands before and after handling.

Things like bacteria are more of a worry than parasites IMHO.
There was a book I read once a long time ago about the parasites and they are mostly species specific. Some do cause problems though because they get "lost" and end up,somewhere they shouldn't. Illegal what I can find about this all.

This is all zoonoses between chameleons and humans...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3188478/
"The risk of transfer of viruses between reptiles and humans is negligible due to the thermoregulatory differences between reptilian and mammalian hosts which would limit the suite of pathogens able to grow in both temperature regimes. However, some zoonotic potential exists when certain reptiles act as reservoirs for arboviruses that are pathogenic to humans such as West Nile fever virus."

Not really right. You can get a number of different bacteria from your chameleon if it happens to carry them...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1995764517305035
I can't tell you what , if anything could transfer from a bird a chameleon. ...or the other way around.

Al I can say is
A lot of the ones listed thier affect birds or birds be carrier like the chalmidya Is also know as parrot fever or psittacosis I never knew reptiles could carry that.

This is all zoonoses between chameleons and humans...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3188478/
"The risk of transfer of viruses between reptiles and humans is negligible due to the thermoregulatory differences between reptilian and mammalian hosts which would limit the suite of pathogens able to grow in both temperature regimes. However, some zoonotic potential exists when certain reptiles act as reservoirs for arboviruses that are pathogenic to humans such as West Nile fever virus."
Oh my god reptiles can cause encephalitis that's brain inflammation that's serious stuff. Although I'm guessing only wild reptiles would carry a virus that can cause that. Parasites are spieces specific most of the time however like you said they can attach to other animals but cant complete thier reproductive cycle in them.
Animals carrying zootonic diseases are one of the major considerations I take into account before getting a pet that will be kept inside the house. For example about 3 to 4 years ago I was going to get a hamster but found out they have been known to carry a virus lymphocytic virus I think that's what it is called. Then I was going to get a cat but found out about toxoplasmosis and this bacteria in thier saliva that more than 47% carry as natural mouth flora but has caused mild illness to extreme sepsis and amputation in people but mainly dogs are the ones who cause it. The reason I'm so worried is not for myself as I have a healthy functioning immune system but one of the family members is immune suppresed due to steroid use because of a condition they have.
The reason I got birds is because naturally they dont carry bacteria that can cause serious illness in people and if they do get infected with a zootonic disease most of the time they show symptoms and some even die.

Last edited:
Oh my god reptiles can cause encephalitis that's brain inflammation that's serious stuff. Although I'm guessing only wild reptiles would carry a virus that can cause that.
Disease is one of the arguments for captive bred (CB) over wild caught (WC), but it's important to remember that while purchasing CB animals can reduce the chance of getting an infected or infested animal, there are no guarantees (Know your breeder!) This is why it's still important to take any new pet to a qualified veterinarian for fecal screening and health check.

The reason I got birds is because naturally they dont carry bacteria that can cause serious illness in people
I'm not sure what gave you that idea, e.g.:
Zoonoses in pet birds: review and perspectives

zoonotic bird to human (general search of articles)

Some sources say birds are closely related to reptiles; other sources say birds are reptiles.
are birds reptiles? (general search)

I mean reptiles naturally carry salmonella and cats and dogs naturally carry bacteria in thier saliva. Chalymdiosis/ parrot fever is not a natural thing a bird will carry it needs to be infected first. Also unlike cats and dogs and most other animals birds have beaks so bacteria are less likely to grow on them compared to animals that have teeth and consume meat.
Sorry another quick questions about chemelons are they prone to infection if thier enclosure is disinfected and they are kept in thier requirements. In the sense that reptiles arent prone to as many infections as birds, cats, dogs and humans right. How good are thier immune systems.

I've been keeping chameleons and a lot of other critters like turtles/tortoises, water dragons, geckos, bearded dragons, cone heads, forest chameleons, etc, etc and a few furry ones too...and in all that time I've never ended up catching anything from any of them. Most of the reptiles, etc were wild caught. I washed my hands frequently and tried not to contaminate or cross contaminate things as well. If I was handling sick ones I wore latex gloves.

If you do the same you should be ok to.

I've been keeping chameleons and a lot of other critters like turtles/tortoises, water dragons, geckos, bearded dragons, cone heads, forest chameleons, etc, etc and a few furry ones too...and in all that time I've never ended up catching anything from any of them. Most of the reptiles, etc were wild caught. I washed my hands frequently and tried not to contaminate or cross contaminate things as well. If I was handling sick ones I wore latex gloves.

If you do the same you should be ok to.
Ok thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom