Chameleon Age Factors

Mason

Hey guys, I am receiving a Panther Cham in February and was planning on startign it out in a 12x12x18 exo terra tank then when its old enough moving it into an XL reptibreeze 24x24x48 mesh enclosure. I was wondering what your thoughts are on that process and what age/weight/size I should migrate it to the larger enclosure.

The first enclosure you mentioned is just way too small. I would start out a baby or juvenile in a 16 X 16 X 30. They are a perfect size for young chameleons and they can find their food in there pretty easily, but still have room to move around. Moving your chameleon up to the 24 X 24 X 48 will depend on how quickly he grows. There is not set time to move them to the bigger cage, but you will figure it out when you see he is getting too big for the smaller cage.

I was recommended by two breeders and a pet shop owner that starting with the 12x12x18 enclosure then moving up to the extra large enclosure was the most consistent way to let a chameleon grow inside an environment it was comfortable in. I even started out with the idea of a middle ground area with a 16x16x30 and all three said it was best to just jump from the small enclosure to the large when it gets to about the size of your hand without its tail. I have even heard from other people on this forum saying that is what they suggest. I am open to all ideas but I'd really appreciate an explanation to why that is too small etc because of all the times Ive heard the opposite.

I also feel that 16x16x30 is the best way to go. Young chameleons are quite active and you want to provide them with enough space.

This is all new to me because I have had so many people tell me the 12x12x18 is fine if I will be quickly moving it to the larger enclosure and my girlfriend has bred many ambilobes and kept 4 or 5 small baby males together without a single hitch and they all had plenty of space. I dont know what to think x_x

I've only had my Cham for a month but 16 x 16 x 30 is what I have. It was what was recommended by the breeder. Bruce from Chameleon Paradise.

I too have the 16x16x30 for my panther. Was recommended by the shop I got my baby from. He seems happy and has plenty room. I am a new mom so I am not real sure of everything myself. But I would go with the 16x16x30.

is it possible to go with the 12x12x18 but let him free roam and have a little more room on some plants outside the enclosure? I ask because I can get a brand new one free and spending another 100 bucks on an enclosure seems very redundant to me especially if he will get a full sized home very quickly.

is it possible to go with the 12x12x18 but let him free roam and have a little more room on some plants outside the enclosure? I ask because I can get a brand new one free and spending another 100 bucks on an enclosure seems very redundant to me especially if he will get a full sized home very quickly.

The biggest problem will be the temperatures. You can cook him really, really easily in a glass cage that is so small.

How big is this baby going to be?

The biggest problem will be the temperatures. You can cook him really, really easily in a glass cage that is so small.

How big is this baby going to be?

he will be 2 months old when I get him from the breeder in February. I get first pick from the clutch so I can choose (along with my breeder girlfriend) the strongest of the clutch. Ask any questions you want, I can give any info needed.

he will be 2 months old when I get him from the breeder in February. I get first pick from the clutch so I can choose (along with my breeder girlfriend) the strongest of the clutch. Ask any questions you want, I can give any info needed.

How many grams will it weigh?

How many grams will it weigh?

Its hard to know exactly because the eggs haven't even been laid yet. I can imagine quite small. The breeder says it will be as long as my index finger with its tail stretched all the way. They do grow like weeds though :D

The reason I am a little astonished everyone hates the 12x12x18s is I watched my girlfriend receive 11 leftover red bars and raise all of the males and females in separate 12x12x18s without a single hitch or injury.

She housed them in the 12x12x18s from about 6 weeks to 3 months and after selling them kept one who at the 3 month mark was moved to a 24x24x48 like I planned. I visited everyday throughout him growing up and still see him every other day and he might actually be the happiest Chameleon I have ever met. He now weighs 70g and four and a half months and has beautiful colours coming in everyday :D

The smallest enclosure I've used for a baby chameleon is also 16x16x30. A 12x12x18 does sound rather small and I've personally never heard anyone recommend them, but if you're girlfriend has experience raising has baby chams in the small enclosures (and your better recommended it), by all means have at it. Just because other people haven't done it doesn't mean it won't work.

Every cham grows at their own rate, but you will know when he or she is ready for a bigger enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom