Chamaeleo jacksonii willegensis

shineru

What are they? they look so alike to the Kenya jacksonii , if anyone knows anything about this species please share you knowledge. Thanks

The willegensis is just a made up name for some more exceptionally coloured animals that were exported years ago. Unfortunately the expression is still used along with other mythical terms like Sunburst, Turquoise and Nosy Faly. ;) :p

Jacksonii willengensis and jacksonii jacksonii are for sure 2 different species!
Willengensis is named after a dutch smuggler who got these animals years ago.
The animals exported from Kenya to the US and Europe are 99.9 procent the willengensis form.
The true jacksonii jacksonii comes from a different location in Kenya,in the last 15 years i just saw 2 very small shipments of these in Belgium.
From coloration they are exact as willengensis but they are an loth bigger(almost xantho size)the head is more flat and the overall body shape is way more robust.
I don't know if these ever came to the US.

Jacksonii willengensis and jacksonii jacksonii are for sure 2 different species!
Willengensis is named after a dutch smuggler who got these animals years ago.
The animals exported from Kenya to the US and Europe are 99.9 procent the willengensis form.
The true jacksonii jacksonii comes from a different location in Kenya,in the last 15 years i just saw 2 very small shipments of these in Belgium.
From coloration they are exact as willengensis but they are an loth bigger(almost xantho size)the head is more flat and the overall body shape is way more robust.
I don't know if these ever came to the US.

The "willegensis" form may end up being described at some point in the future, but they have not been to date and currently the name is what is referred to taxonomically as a nomen nudum. This basically means just what Trace said, its a fake named that is supposed to give the impression of a real one. Also, if the "willegensis" form is ever classified as its own species/subspecies, there is no obligation for the describer to use the name (which I hope they don't).

Chris

The first name of the Dutch smuggler was Willem and after his arrest the authorities put up the label "Willegensis" on the animals he had.

Back
Top Bottom