Cham with mbd not eating?

DersMan97

My buddy Bepis developed mbd about 4 weeks ago after noticing a broken leg and we got on top of getting him calcium glubionate really quick. We feed mostly wax worms since he started rejecting crickets shortly before we found out about the mbd. We saw a really good upswing but recently he hasn't been eating. After about 2 weeks with mbd he hasn't tried to catch any insects on his own. So to make sure he's been getting his calcium and food I've been putting my hand in his enclosure and putting the insects or supplement in his mouth while he does his hissing but over the past 4 days he hasn't even hissed when I put my hand in and he still won't take food on his own. Any suggestions? I'll put some pictures below as well!
20220505_193713.jpg
20220506_093939.jpg

So how are you treating the MBD? Proper supplements with liquid calcium in addition to that? Well fed/gutloaded insects? Appropriate temperatures? Anything else?

Did you take your chameleon to the vet?

There's more than one leg with an issue. Does it lift its body off the branches when walking?

If your going to hand feed, make sure the insect is between the teeth so your chameleon won't choke. When one has MBD, it's not only the bones that are weak, but the muscles (so no trunkal lifting) are too and thus the digestion is often slower too...so less hungry.

So how are you treating the MBD? Proper supplements with liquid calcium in addition to that? Well fed/gutloaded insects? Appropriate temperatures? Anything else?
So calcium glubionate is a liquid calcium supplement along with his dusting of calcium w/out de on all insects i do get him to eat. And we replaced his uvb lamp as that is what went bad and caused the mbd i believe.

Did you take your chameleon to the vet?

There's more than one leg with an issue. Does it lift its body off the branches when walking?

If your going to hand feed, make sure the insect is between the teeth so your chameleon won't choke. When one has MBD, it's not only the bones that are weak, but the muscles (so no trunkal lifting) are too and thus the digestion is often slower too...so less hungry.
After doing research i decided to just doctor him at home. When we first detected it he was eating just fine. Weh he walks he is able to get up off his body but only for a little then he'll lay back down again.

You said...
"So calcium glubionate is a liquid calcium supplement along with his dusting of calcium w/out de on all insects i do get him to eat. And we replaced his uvb lamp as that is what went bad and caused the mbd i believe"...so no phos free calcium with D3 twice a month and no vitamins?

D3 either from the UVB or the supplement is needed to absorb the calcium...without enough, the liquid calcium and normal calcium supplement won't be well absorbed and the MBD won't be corrected.

He gets calcium w/ d3 once every other week
You said...
"So calcium glubionate is a liquid calcium supplement along with his dusting of calcium w/out de on all insects i do get him to eat. And we replaced his uvb lamp as that is what went bad and caused the mbd i believe"...so no phos free calcium with D3 twice a month and no vitamins?

D3 either from the UVB or the supplement is needed to absorb the calcium...without enough, the liquid calcium and normal calcium supplement won't be well absorbed and the MBD won't be corrected.
Right, i give him calcium w/ d3 once every other week. Is that enough?

What's the basking temperature?
What bulb do you use for a basking bulb? Is it a white light?
What do you feed/gutload the insects with?
How are you going to know when to stop the liquid calcium? How will you know when the bones are strong enough again?

Back
Top Bottom