Cham. slowing down.

mocha

my chameleon is always exploring her cage, but for the past 2 days, she isnt moving at all. Please help!! she just sits on her branch and stays there PLEASE HELP MEEE!! :(

Hello,
which chameleon is it? what cage do you use and how are the temperatures in the seperate zones of the terrarium?
If it is not moving, it may be to hot or it has caught an illness

3-4 months

they said she's about 3 to 4 months old. she is a Senegal Chameleon. and she will climb my hand somethimes when i put out my hand

info

this is all the info i know

My chameleon . Female ( i think) , 5-6 months, Senegal, 3 months in my care

Handling. rarely, only when she wants to come out. she climbbs the screen when she wants to get out.

Feeding. i feed her mealworms and crickets, but she mostly likes mealworms wich ive heard is bad.

Supplements. Repto-Cal, i dust the crickets when i put them in her cage, and when i give her mealworms i dont dust them too much.

watering. i mist her cage 3x a day, add water to dish 1-2 days, and water her Hibiscus planet. Yes i see her drinking water, she does go down to dish somethimes, but likes mist better

fecal description. she is a bright green, but when she is outside she is a dark green-brown mix. my chameleon hasnt been tested for parisites.

History. nothing really has happened to my cham, but one time a bottle of turtle cage cleaner fell on her and she got frightened,( it wasnt open, just the bottle) but was still walking like normal.

Cage type. my cage is Repti-Breeze. it is a screen cage that is 27x16

Lighting. I use a Red, 75 watt heat lamp. and a UVB light.( im not sure of watts). I turn them both on at 8:00 ish and turn them off whenever she goes to sleep, around 7:30 to 8:00

Tempature: im not sure how to get the temp

Plants. i use a Hibiscus planet in the middle of the cage.

Placement. In my room by my bed.

My problem. She isnt moving around much, and is sleeping alot. when i first got her she was like this. then she was fine.
Im gonna post pics seprate

pics

230885_170150399705653_100001320815197_376636_1033654_n.jpg

261606_189814631072563_100001320815197_478401_5015178_n.jpg

268134_189815911072435_100001320815197_478409_3321396_n.jpg

What does her poop look like? If there is brown and white, then she's well hydrated. If there is brown and orange, she needs better hydration.

My gut feeling is that even though you see her drink from the cup she would fare better if she had water dripping onto the leaves of the plant. I'm not sure how you would arrange that with your current set up.

its like a brown-white color. one time it had orange in it
also i do let her drink leaf drippings, but she likes drinking from bowl too is what i meant

Looks underweight to me.

My sentiments exactly... I would say you need to get her and a sample of her fecal material to a vet quickly... Sleeping as it has been said is a bad sign... She may even have and impaction due to the chinton in the mealworms... Vet is my opinion

its like a brown-white color. one time it had orange in it
also i do let her drink leaf drippings, but she likes drinking from bowl too is what i meant

The problem with standing water is bacteria if it is not very regularly cleaned... There is a chance that something slipped into her from the standing water...

Feeding. i feed her mealworms and crickets, but she mostly likes mealworms wich ive heard is bad.

Supplements. Repto-Cal, i dust the crickets when i put them in her cage, and when i give her mealworms i dont dust them too much.

fecal description. she is a bright green, but when she is outside she is a dark green-brown mix. my chameleon hasnt been tested for parisites.

Lighting. I use a Red, 75 watt heat lamp. and a UVB light.( im not sure of watts). I turn them both on at 8:00 ish and turn them off whenever she goes to sleep, around 7:30 to 8:00

Tempature: im not sure how to get the temp

There's a lot that could be wrong here, so here are some ideas and some questions you need to get an answer to:

Mealworms are not a good food. Lots of chitin which is hard to digest and they are not very nutritious. What do you feed your insects? This is VERY important to do correctly. Give them fresh fruit, dark leafy greens, fortified cereal grains at a minimum.

Do you dust her feeders every day with calcium that contains vitamin D3? This is too much! You should be dusting them lightly with plain calcium (no D3) each day, dusting with calcium (with D3) every 2 weeks, and dusting with a herp vitamin once a month.

In your pic she looks thin and dehydrated. The orange in her poop (which is what we meant by a fecal description) is also a sign of dehydration. The fact that she'll go down and drink from a bowl is also a sign that she's very thirsty most of the time. Chams naturally drink off leaves and prefer not to go to the ground to drink. The bowl is a constant source of bacteria.

You MUST know the temperatures in her cage...under the basking light and in a cooler area of the cage. Get a good quality thermometer (the easiest ones to use are infrared non-contact temp guns from a herp supply like LLL Reptile).

What BRAND is your UV light? Coil or linear tube? How long have you been using it? ReptiSun 5.0 is a standard safe bulb. Change the bulb every 6 months.

You will need to measure the humidity in her cage. She can get dehydrated even if she drinks every day if the air in the room is too dry. You need a good quality digital humidity gauge. Again, get one at a herp supply like LLL Reptile.

Back
Top Bottom