Cham sleeping during the day

cmorgs17

Hi all,
I have a 6-7 month old veiled cham that for some reason decided that he would like to sleep through the day. I know this is a huge red flag for a cham being sick so im hoping you guys can help me out. He ate about 5 crickets an hour ago and went back to sleep. I also gave him water from a syringe and he drank a bit then went back to sleep.

I got him about 3 months ago and until today he has been healthy to my knowledge.

He lives in a 30 gallon glass terrarium with branches that i found outside and baked in the oven and ziptied together. The bottom of the terrarium is covered in that ground coconut husk stuff. I spray 3-4 times a day and use a plastic cup that drips down onto his live plants. The humidity level is usually about 60-70% and his basking spot is about 95 degrees. I use a reptisun 5.0 UVB light and it shines from above because i know that UVB radiation doesn't make it through glass. I also have a 75w heat lamp (an infared) that i leave on all the time. The temp on that end of the cage drops down to about 75-80 at night. Both lights are on the same side to provide a temperature gradient. The UVB light is on a timer that shines for about 12 hours every day. I use multivitamin powder 1 time a week and repti-cal everyother day on his crickets. i feed him every day about 4-5 crickets. and i feed super worms occasionally.

I know glass isn't the best for chams because they need ventilation. I will be building him a proper enclosure at the end of the month as soon as i move. Or sooner if that will fix the problem. When i noticed that he was still asleep at nine this morning (2 hours after his lights turn on) i reached in to see if he would wake up and i managed to peel him off a branch with is eyes still closed. This is very unusual. Usually i get myself hissed and lunged at if i try to do that. I only handle him when necessary to clean out his cage and things like that.

During the day he does try to climb the glass for some reason. He goes down to the bottom of the terrarium and scratches the glass. He does this for quite a while.

I may be overreacting but i would hate to be missing something important and causing my chameleon to become ill.

Am i feeding him too much?
Can chams just be tired?
Am i missing anything?

I'm sorry your cham is sleeping. We will try and see if we can make some suggestions. I know you already provided some info on your husbandry but if you could fill out the ask for help questions provided in the sticky. Also add a lot of pictures of your enclosure and cham. They help a lot

health questionaire thing

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled male. about 7 months old i think
Handling - only when necessary. once a week if that
Feeding - Crickets dusted with calcium powder and multivitamins. All feeders gut loaded with cat food (blue buffalo) and flukes cricket quencher along with whatever vegetables and fruits i have around
Supplements - Reptivite once a week and repti-cal every other day
Watering -I mist with a spray bottle 3-4 times a day for about a minute
Fecal Description - Brown and normal i would assume and the urate is white Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?-no
History - Bought from petco about 3 months ago healthy until today to the best of my knowledge. HE tries to climb the glass all the time. Makes a terrible nails on the chalkboard noise. He has plenty of branches to climb on.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass, 18"tall and 30" wide 12"deep aka 30 gallon
Lighting - reptisun 5.0 UVB 12 hours on a timer and a 75w infared heat lamp
Temperature -basking temp 95. other side of the cage is around 80. 80 degrees at night.
Humidity - 60% humidity. spray 3-4 times and a dripper
Plants - yes, not sure. Sorry.
Placement - In my room which is low traffic. and on top if a dresser which is 3ft off the floor.
Location -orono maine

Current Problem - sleeping during the day.

I will try to inlcude picutres

Attachments

• 10155601_10152188049333025_9163681826758099649_n.jpg
    10155601_10152188049333025_9163681826758099649_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 116
Hi and welcome to the forum. You need to build a new viv ASAP . 18 inches tall is way too small. He will need 4 ft tall as he is a growing boy. No light or heat at night. He needs a drop in temp at night by at least 10 degrees in order for his metabolism to slow down to let him sleep. Temps can drop to mid 50 . I use reptile carpet or paper towel on the bottom of viv in case my boy snags a bit of substrait and becomes impacted. Basking at 90 is fine. Your gutloading needs a bit of work. Cat food is very high in protein and not good for your boy. You might want to check out sandrachameleons blogs on here for ideas on gutloading. Depending on whether he gets outside in the sun a good regime for supplements is calcium without d3 every feed. Calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin without d3 twice a month. Hopefully if he can get a good sleep pattern you might see a difference.:)

You need a bigger all screen viv, gutload with fruits and vegies and real plants!! just keep doing additional research to make sure your guy stays in good health. Do not listen to the people at petco about husbandry.:)

Agreed with cage size... way too small and too warm. Why still 80 degrees at night? Are you running the heat lamp 24/7? If so, it needs to be shut off at night. No heat, no light at night. The reptical...does it contain d3? You did not mention how long you have been keeping him in these conditions. Sounds like with the enclosure being so small, he has no where to cool off. edit: Sorry I did not read the first post but read the ask for help form further down! I see you have him 3 mos

I kept the light on at night because i live in maine and it was winter and i was worried about the temp getting too low at night, but I guess thats not really an issue. Thanks for the help! Ill will be building the little guy a new house with the proper dimensions as soon as my finals are over this week! THanks for the help.

Yeah no need for a night light unless your temps drop into the low 50's which most houses do not, even in cold climates

I kept the light on at night because i live in maine and it was winter and i was worried about the temp getting too low at night, but I guess thats not really an issue. Thanks for the help! Ill will be building the little guy a new house with the proper dimensions as soon as my finals are over this week! THanks for the help.

Combined with other things mentioned changing a few things could make a big difference to his wellbeing. Keep a close eye on him and if he doesn't improve with the changes you may need to take him to a reptile vet. Has he been sleeping today?

Nope! hes better today. He woke up and started being active around noon yesterday. I think the light issue was some of the problem. The silly petco people told me that the cage had to be no colder than 75 degrees ever, but after doing quite a bit of research iv'e realized that they don't know anything.:(

Nope! hes better today. He woke up and started being active around noon yesterday. I think the light issue was some of the problem. The silly petco people told me that the cage had to be no colder than 75 degrees ever, but after doing quite a bit of research iv'e realized that they don't know anything.:(

Don't have Petco here thank goodness. The longer you are on here you will learn how bad some of them are. There are some good ones. I'm glad your boy is better. It doesn't take much to knock them off. Anything you are not sure of just ask.:)

Back
Top Bottom