Cham Relationships!!!

YOSHI

Probably a stupid question but will a male Yemen live together in peace with a female Yemen?
I have been given a female around 5months old in amazing condition, but my male is a giant and over 2yrs old so I can imagin my male would swallow her, or should I do the sensible thing and keep them apart!

They need to be kept apart unless your enclosure is huge (talkin almost whole room size :D) The two would only tolerate each other tops a day or two if she was old enough and receptive. Most likely he would end up trying to eat her and if not succeeding most likely kill her. Definitely do the sensible thing :)

You answered your own question ;) Do the sensible thing and keep them apart. This'll be good for a few reasons:

1. She's too young right now to breed, and you bet that this is all your guy wants to do with her! If you want to consider breeding, wait until she's passed the 1 year mark, so she's just about done growing herself before she starts making eggs.

2. As far as egg laying, she will lay infertile eggs anyway, probably starting at around 6 months. Now that she's five months old, you're going to want to lower her max basking temp to 25-26*C and feed her less (this blog will be useful: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html). This will keep her from producing eggs at all OR producing much fewer eggs each time, which will hopefully make her healthier and live longer. If she were with your male she'd be too warm and would lay lots of eggs, and without being able to lay them in privacy you might end up with her going down hill.

3. It'll be easier to monitor everyone's food intake and poop. Because of his size, he'll compete with her for food and win. So unless you hand feed them separately, he'll probably eat a lot and she probably won't eat much. Also they will compete for basking spots and he will definitely win out.

It would be nice to have pairs together in cages but it's easier for everyone if they live separate lives. :)

Back
Top Bottom