Cham not eating.

Glass blocks all significant UVB.

Great note! Yup it bounces-right off lol ;) . I always open my windows to let it shine thru the room and into the bottom half of my enclosure it's cold outside but the cage has the basking lamp and the sun has it's warming properties I close the window once it has passed. They love it.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled Chameleon Male I’ve had him for 11 months he was 4 months old when I got him
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I take him out of his cage regularly I’ll hold him for a few minutes then take him outside or put a branch and a vine near the window for him to sit on.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
7-8 large crickets every other day dandelion greens or mustard greens I put in a bowl for him for 4 hours and I also give him a super worm once a day after a misting
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calcium with every dusting by exo terra
Zoo meds reptile vitamins with d3 twice a month at the end of the month
Zoo med reptile calcium with d3 twice a month in the first week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I mist him twice a day lately I’ve only done once a day because it gets darker quicker so I’m tryint to figure out a good misting schedule right now
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Colors have been brown they are soft he poops about every other day and no he hasn’t.
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

I ordered him from FLChams online he was about 4 months old when I got him that’s all I can say really.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
It’s all mesh screen I’m guessing dimensions is size? But the cage is 30 inches tall and it’s 16 wide I don’t know how to do the other measurements
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Zoo med double dome lighting thing. I have his lights on from 6 or 7 am I’m jot fully sure I turn his lights off when it gets dark out and f he’s ready for bed normally he curls his tail up and his eyes get kinda squinted so I turn them around anywhere from 6 to 7:30
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
It’s about 77 in the middle 70-75 in my room and normally 88-95 or 96
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have a thermometer in my room next to his cage that takes humidity and temperature and if it’s ever too low I turn on my humidifier
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I’m usung fake plants :/
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
It’s on my dresser not really near anything it’s next to my humidifier
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Newport News Virginia
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Chameleon not eating all his food.

Also something I should’ve said before he will eat anything to super worms greens fruits everything just for some reason he’s been slowing down on his crickets.

Great work. Christmas is just around the corner but if I were you ide double down on chores and save up enough for a larger enclosure so you can ask your parents for a 6% uvb arcadia to go with it. Often you can find great deals online on fb or apps like let go on used and new-cages. Just be sure to clean them b4 use. And maybe get the guy a nice ficus for Christmas huh lol. Your doing great.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help if anyone can send me links for the right equipment that would be great I truly do want the best and I trust everyone would want to help so if anyone can send links to cages, lights, plants for outside I could use or inside or any more tips anyone could possibly give that would be great thank you again.

The first upgrade you need to make is the correct uvb light. As you’ll be moving him to a larger enclosure, get one the length of what that enclosure will be. The one Brody gave the link to comes with the bulb.
Until you’re able to get the larger enclosure, you can in the meantime add more sticks to climb. Oak trees are everywhere...grab some branches, wash with dish soap (rinse well) and voila’. A live plant will help with humidity, add more to climb on and leaves to drink from & hide behind. I suggest Pothos...cham safe and just all around great.
Regarding enclosure, I believe Reptibreeze is probably the least expensive. However, if you’re handy you could make your own for a fraction of the cost. Many members have done this and you could search for their build threads.
You really need to mist at least twice a day. If you can’t, add a dripper. A plastic cup with a pin hole on the bottom makes an easy inexpensive dripper.
Crickets are okay feeders, but roaches are much better staple feeder and super easy to breed your own. Dubia and discoid don’t fly or climb and are easily contained. Yes, they are gross but if I can deal with them, anyone can. You could add to your gutloading. The key is you’re not feeding the bugs to keep them alive, but giving them nutrition to pass on to your cham.
I’ll attach the care sheets that will help guide you. You’re on the right path to having a happy and healthy cham. Most of us started where you are and are more than happy to help. The only condition is you have to share with us your upgrades and achievements. :) We love seeing progress.
EA2DD470-4F1E-48A1-9D35-CBF31147DB71.jpeg BDBA122B-E25B-4CD0-8FCC-EF30EB0BB11B.jpeg 4F3F8F0B-030B-4ADC-BA04-0A8B3D0D0428.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom