Cham not eating.

OreoPapii

My Veiled Chameleon Zippy hasn’t been eating as much lately I feel like he’s either more picky or something is wrong. He’s over a year old now, and lately he’s been picky he used to eat anything from the tongs or his bowl now he only eats if he sees them moving around his cage which I’ve been doing but sometimes he won’t even eat them I feed him 7-8 large crickets every other day with calcium dusting. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong he’s very well and healthy maybe he’s sick and I don’t know but he’s always a bright green unless he’s basking. So if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

My veiled did the same thing and it was right at the 1 year mark. They will cut down on thier own and also some when they are shedding.

Photo please.

Not sure what type of pic you’d like but here’s the lil cranky boy.

Not sure if it's just the angle of the pic but if that's his cage in the background it may be just a-tad small. If you can find the time to fill out that questionnaire the information you will receive is invaluable to the health and longevity of your beautiful cham. Oh and pics are great too. :)

Not sure if it's just the angle of the pic but if that's his cage in the background it may be just a-tad small. If you can find the time to fill out that questionnaire the information you will receive is invaluable to the health and longevity of your beautiful cham. Oh and pics are great too. :)
The cage was far back and he was closeer to the camera but I actually am thinking of getting him a bigger cage he has a lot of room right now but I just feel like he does deserve more space.

The cage was far back and he was closeer to the camera
Come on now, Oreo...
Please, don’t try to BS us. Your Cham is the only one who will have to pay for it in the end.

Most of us have been doing this for years. We can’t help you if your not honest. Your male is fully grown and there are several common items in the background and foreground to give the viv, and your Cham, scale.

thinking of getting him a bigger cage he has a lot of room right now
unless your hiding a monster free range somewhere just off-camera, he absolutely does not have “a lot of room right now.”

but I just feel like he does deserve more space.
Not deserves, requires.

I know you originally came here to ask about his appetite but all aspects of your husbandry tie into others in very intricate ways most keepers will never understand, not saying your one of them.

That being said you mentioned he’s always a bright green unless basking, why do you think this is?

The cage was far back and he was closeer to the camera but I actually am thinking of getting him a bigger cage he has a lot of room right now but I just feel like he does deserve more space.
Beautiful guy. Adult male veileds need a minimum of a 2x2x4 foot enclosure. I have to agree with Brody - your enclosure looks way too tiny and is causing your cham to be stressed. Stress lowers immunity and can make your cham sick. There are many options for a larger enclosure, from the palaces of Dragon strand to a do it yourself. Whichever you choose, your cham will greatly appreciate the upgrade.

I always put myself in my pets shoes so to speak. I think they all deserve to be free and roaming the wild but it's great that they attract our attention due to habitat loss. Thier beauty may save them from extinction. I have a huge pecan tree in my backyard that i often look up at envisioning it filled with all my chams both past and present and imagine they would be very happy as it looks like chameleon heaven when the sun hits it just rite :) lol I guess what I'm getting at is That they deserve the unobtainable that only mother nature can supply so I try my very hardest to give enough space that they feel comfortable. Btw pecans like almonds and most other nuts get their delicious taste and aromas from arsenic so I wouldn't recommend for a cham altho veileds may be fine due to their higher tolerances of toxic plants... Your boy looks like he may have hit the natural slow down of food intake and growth once they hit adulthood, However his loss of appetite could also be due to confinement. To sum it up he looks great all puffed up and flexing so you must be doing alot rite but please look into enclosure size requirements for a big male. Congrats on making it to adult hood I know they grow fast. :)

The cage looks like the cham starter kit... 16x16x30 and the light looks like the double dome that comes with it. Are you still using the screw in UVB bulb? If so you will need to upgrade his lighting as well to a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 linear UVB bulb for it. So when you upgrade the cage to a 2x2x4 you will need the 24 inch fixture for the top to provide the correct UVB lighting so he does not develop Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD).

I highly recommend filling out this form to ensure your cham lives a long healthy life.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Come on now, Oreo...
Please, don’t try to BS us. Your Cham is the only one who will have to pay for it in the end.

Most of us have been doing this for years. We can’t help you if your not honest. Your male is fully grown and there are several common items in the background and foreground to give the viv, and your Cham, scale.

unless your hiding a monster free range somewhere just off-camera, he absolutely does not have “a lot of room right now.”

Not deserves, requires.

I know you originally came here to ask about his appetite but all aspects of your husbandry tie into others in very intricate ways most keepers will never understand, not saying your one of them.

That being said you mentioned he’s always a bright green unless basking, why do you think this is?
FE084783-AA43-455E-93F5-1DDC395B1A2B.jpeg

I’m not trying to lie to anyone I’m not perfect Zippy was my first pet I’ve ever had I did research for over 2 years I’m still learning and trying this is a pic of him in his cage he is sleeping but like I said I’m not trying to lie or bs anyone. I’m still learning and trying to have the absolute bet for him cages are expensive and I don’t have a job right now I just have what my parents can do for me.

View attachment 251829
I’m not trying to lie to anyone I’m not perfect Zippy was my first pet I’ve ever had I did research for over 2 years I’m still learning and trying this is a pic of him in his cage he is sleeping but like I said I’m not trying to lie or bs anyone. I’m still learning and trying to have the absolute bet for him cages are expensive and I don’t have a job right now I just have what my parents can do for me.
Do you take him outside alot or does he get sun from a open window?

The cage looks like the cham starter kit... 16x16x30 and the light looks like the double dome that comes with it. Are you still using the screw in UVB bulb? If so you will need to upgrade his lighting as well to a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 linear UVB bulb for it. So when you upgrade the cage to a 2x2x4 you will need the 24 inch fixture for the top to provide the correct UVB lighting so he does not develop Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD).

I highly recommend filling out this form to ensure your cham lives a long healthy life.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Thank you I do want to get him that stuff I don’t have the money but I will get it as soon as possible and how do I fill it out so I copy and paste it as a reply or what do I do?

View attachment 251829
He does look very healthy did you get around to filling out the questionnaire? I gotta know how you do it. He must have a nice free range set up right in a window huh?

Back
Top Bottom