Cham letting out a little sigh noise

Nicodemayo

Avid Member
Just curious if anyone ever hears their cham let out a little wheezing noise. It sounds like a little sigh and my female veiled only seems to do it when im holding her. Almost like shes frustrated and wants to go back to her cage. Just checking to see if anyone has seen this before. I got to looking at my cage in case there was any mold on the vines and cleaned them off real well just in case with really hot water. I spray her like 4 times a day and i have a cool mist humidifier so im ruling out any humidity issue. I cant hear her breathe and she doesnt gape with her mouth open unless shes hot it'll be open like 1cm so i dont think its a respiratory issue. It even sounds like a TINY little sneeze or something. Any ideas?

she may do that cause she likes to be held or she is scared and letting out a breath of air fast like my veiled does except hes small and i cant here the sigh.

If its wheezing or a crackling sound the chameleon has a problem. I know reptiles sneeze to eliminate excess salts but I never seen mine do it.

I've experienced two female veileds that were very verbal. What you are hearing is the true feelings of the chameleon. Watch exactly when she does it and really hear it, to understand what she's on about. I had a cham slip off my shoulder coming out of the shower once. I caught her, but while falling, she screamed out like a human would. Too cute and I'll never forget it. :}

Its not really a wheeze but more of a soft sigh type noise. I cant hear her breathe at all and theres no crackling of any sorts and she wont gape unless i see her on her perch for longer than 30min or so then she'll go to the middle and sit to cool down before heading back up to the top. I dont know what on earth would cause an upper respiratory infection cause everything i have set is perfect and im spraying her constantly and i have the humidifier so its not like its to dry. Shes not showing any obvious signs of a uri. Like i said i only see her do it when im holding her. Ive never seen her do it in her cage. I just recently started holding her lately cause she seems to be more friendly so ive never noticed it until the past few days. If i see it getting worse i will of course take her to the vet immediately but im just wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

Its not really a wheeze but more of a soft sigh type noise. I cant hear her breathe at all and theres no crackling of any sorts and she wont gape unless i see her on her perch for longer than 30min or so then she'll go to the middle and sit to cool down before heading back up to the top. I dont know what on earth would cause an upper respiratory infection cause everything i have set is perfect and im spraying her constantly and i have the humidifier so its not like its to dry. Shes not showing any obvious signs of a uri. Like i said i only see her do it when im holding her. Ive never seen her do it in her cage. I just recently started holding her lately cause she seems to be more friendly so ive never noticed it until the past few days. If i see it getting worse i will of course take her to the vet immediately but im just wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

you sure it's not hissing?
if it is, then he's mad..
but wheezing can be a sign of URI.
what's your enclosure average humidity?

I had a veiled female that made a little hooty noise when she was aggravated at me getting her out of her cage.. i could almost feel her do it more than i could hear it.. is it kind of like that?

It's a sigh... I've heard it the odd time before too!

I have a small group of the Chameleo trioceros goetzei and they actually make an audible squeeking sound when handled. I don't believe there are many other species that make noises (and I use that term loosely!) beyond the standard hissing.

A bit of trivia for you all.
Cheers
t

Could be hissing. My female hisses like crazy when we try to take her out of the cage. It sounds like wheezing or heavy breathing..

i have a couple of panthers that can make a squeaking noise sometimes. always happens when they are surprised or pissed.

I was cleaning out one of my juvie females cage this weekend and when I picked her up to put her back, she whistled! I figure it was a small hiss, but she didn't open her mouth and it whistled out her nose. Funny!

I took out my panther today and he made a similar noise except it sounded like a moan/croak but really soft. It sounded like a baby crocodile but very soft and more muffled. It gave me a good laugh. Its the first time i really held him for awhile and hes a handful! Always wants to the highest point of my body which happened to be the bill of my hat ;).

I too am hearing the same noises come from my cham. Last night, or now, sine its 6.am. I couldn't sleep and as I lay in bed I could hear my cham periodically sneeze? wheeze? I was wondering, if a cham does have a URI, how often do the sounds come, and would URI noises come at night during sleep. If they are sneezes, do they sneeze at night. I honestly think its a URI because before yesterday, I didn't have a proper drainage system and would have to soak up the water every 2-3 days. Bad practice I know...but the drainage is handled now. Should I get him to a vet?

My female will hiss at me when she's mad, it's the cutest little thing:) But I think she is just hissing at you, or she has a URI.

Back
Top Bottom