Cham isn’t growing

Jojo212

I have had this baby girl for about a month now, and she has not grown at all. She is about 4 -4.5 inches, and 6 grams/ 0.7 oz. I was told she was about 2 months when I first got her, so I think she should be a little bit bigger by now.

Attachments

• 8FD05CB6-1EB0-45CE-8828-C29B61720AB7.jpeg
    8FD05CB6-1EB0-45CE-8828-C29B61720AB7.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 63
Cham care info:
your chameleon: Female, veiled Cham. About 3 months old, I have had her for about a month.
handling: Once a day, I take her out to feed crickets, because she is too small to hunt.
feeding: 4-6 crickets daily and at least 3 meal worms a day. 2-3 times a week she’ll eat a small dubia roach.
supplements: repti-calcium w/o D3, 5 times a week, and other 2 days I use repashy superfoods
Watering: I have a little dripping that drips 24/7, and I mist the cage 3 times a day
Fecal description: soft, the end of the white part usually has a bit of yellow, but mainly white.
history: she has had no problems with me so far. She did come from the pet store with a few scares around her face.

Cage info:

cage type:
18 in x 14 in x 36 in bird cage (a lot cheaper than a Cham cage, and being a teenager that pays for their own pets, I had to budget)
Lighting: lights are on for 12 hours a day. I use a repti sun 5.0 tube uvb light, and a 75watt heat bulb.
temperature: the basking temp is around 80- 85, the bottom of the cage is around 70. At night it drops to around 65 or warmer.
humidity: I try to keep humidity at 60% but it sometimes drops to 40%
plants: I have 1 live dracaena plant, and the rest are fake.
placement: in my room, not in direct sunlight, but there is light that comes from my windows, not near any windows or vents.
location: San Francisco, California, USA (15 minutes north of there)

Attachments

• 4C45E592-DF47-4799-AE55-33FA33DAF64E.jpeg
    4C45E592-DF47-4799-AE55-33FA33DAF64E.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 9A131ECC-EB53-4BAE-A303-9576E63AEAF0.jpeg
    9A131ECC-EB53-4BAE-A303-9576E63AEAF0.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 97
She should be eating as much as she can eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding...this is if the insects are in a cup or free ranged. It you're tong feeding then it may take longer to give her enough. Once she's nearing maturity you need to be careful not to overfeed females.

- She should be able to hunt food no problem. That is a natural behavior for chams.
- Make sure you are giving her privacy as chameleons are shy eaters.
- At her age she should be eating closer to 10-15 bugs.
- Meal worms are not recommended for chameleons.

She should be eating as much as she can eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding...this is if the insects are in a cup or free ranged. It you're tong feeding then it may take longer to give her enough. Once she's nearing maturity you need to be careful not to overfeed females.
Okay. I do put crickets in a cup/ Tupperware and I sit her on the edge of it and she eats by herself, just outside the cage. How much is too much? What happens when girl chams are Overfed?

Okay. I do put crickets in a cup/ Tupperware and I sit her on the edge of it and she eats by herself, just outside the cage. How much is too much? What happens when girl chams are Overfed?
I put mine in a clear plastic soup container for the time being and put them in the same location every day. I wouldn’t worry too much about overfeeding at this age.

- She should be able to hunt food no problem. That is a natural behavior for chams.
- Make sure you are giving her privacy as chameleons are shy eaters.
- At her age she should be eating closer to 10-15 bugs.
- Meal worms are not recommended for chameleons.

Thank you for the videos! She can hunt fine, it’s just the cage I feel is too big for her to eat in a good time frame. I let her sit at the edge of a Tupperware to eat crickets. Would superworms be a better choice? Or just no worms at all? And is the 10-15 bugs how much she is meant to eat daily?

I put mine in a clear plastic soup container for the time being and put them in the same location every day. I wouldn’t worry too much about overfeeding at this age.
Okay. So maybe I’ll try putting them in plastic holder and put them in the cage for her. Should I only put them there for a certain time like 5-10 mins or do I let her eat them all no matter how long it takes?

I agree with the info you already have received but I would like to add in some things...

Can you tell me what repashy superfood products you are using as supplements?

She should have calcium with D3 at all feedings and then 2 times a month on opposite weeks she should get a multivitamin with D3 like reptivite withD3.

Exactly what type of UVB is it? A T8 or a T5HO. It should say on your fixture or bulb.

40% humidity is actually good during the day for a Veiled. It is ok if it spikes to 60% after misting but it should be stable between 30-50% max during the day.

And you are away that if it is a girl then she will lay infertile eggs?

4-6 crickets is not enough for her. She should eat 10-15 crickets. Mealworms are not very nutritious and their exoskeletons are hard to digest for chams.

I agree with the info you already have received but I would like to add in some things...

She should have calcium with D3 at all feedings and then 2 times a month on opposite weeks she should get a multivitamin with D3 like reptivite withD3.

Correction for clarity: She should have calcium WITHOUT D3 at all feedings and then 2 times a month on opposite weeks she should get a multivitamin with D3 like reptivite withD3.

Um Becca ? typo?
Well crap..... :hilarious: You know I type that so frequently you would think my fingers could type it on auto pilot.

Correction for clarity: She should have calcium WITHOUT D3 at all feedings and then 2 times a month on opposite weeks she should get a multivitamin with D3 like reptivite withD3.
Yes!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. exactly. Thank you ?

Exactly what type of UVB is it? A T8 or a T5HO. It should say on your fixture or bulb.

40% humidity is actually good during the day for a Veiled. It is ok if it spikes to 60% after misting but it should be stable between 30-50% max during the day.

And you are away that if it is a girl then she will lay infertile eggs?
The repashy superfood I use is calcium plus, so I think it is a multivitamin, so I’ll use it a lot less now!
The light bulb is a T5HO. Thank you for letting me know that 40% is a good humidity, I sometimes got worried that is was too low.
I do know about how she will get eggs, and I have a laying bin ready for her, it is an extra large Tupperware container that has un bleached play sand in it. I don’t have it in the cage yet just becauseI don’t want it to get dirty while she is too young to use it.

The repashy superfood I use is calcium plus, so I think it is a multivitamin, so I’ll use it a lot less now!
The light bulb is a T5HO. Thank you for letting me know that 40% is a good humidity, I sometimes got worried that is was too low.
I do know about how she will get eggs, and I have a laying bin ready for her, it is an extra large Tupperware container that has un bleached play sand in it. I don’t have it in the cage yet just becauseI don’t want it to get dirty while she is too young to use it.
The repashy calcium plus is a multivitamin with D3 it has much lower levels because they design them to be used at every feeding all in one supplement... However some females have had edema when on this product. I would drop using it and get reptivite with D3. You would use the reptivite 2 times a month on alternating weeks and then the calcium Without D3 at every feeding.

With the bird cage you need to make sure her basking is not any closer then 10.5 inches at the highest point she can get to. This is the perfect level of uvb for her. As you get closer to the UVB light it gets much much stronger. Can lead to overexposure of UVB which will hurt her. With the bird cage it will not cut the output of UVB.

Here are some additional resource links as well.

www.dragonstrand.com

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

Back
Top Bottom