Cham is receptive again!

Sancho

She laid 40 eggs on Dec 31st 2008 is this too soon for her to be receptive again! I've cut her food way back to help prevent this as much as possible but not sure if it's working.

I would love to breed her but I don't have the space for babies in my small apartment.

Here she is

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent the last hour searching but can't find out what the time frame is from when they lay eggs to the next time they are receptive.

I think I've asked the same on here only a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a definite answer either. I'd be interested to know the answer to this too, Sancho. I believe that they can lay up to four clutches per year, so that would make it approx. every three months.

As you may know, Lily laid a clutch of 103 infertiles on 23rd December 08 and I believe she too is receptive again, although her blues and browns are always showing, somedays brighter than others. She is currently showing the same behaviour that she did a month before she laid that clutch. I'm bracing myself for chameleon eggs for Easter!!

if you dont want her to lay infertile eggs than dont feed her a lot...maybe 6 cricks every 2 days....even less and keep temps down a bit...that way she wont produce eggs...private message brad ramsey and he can help...hes a pro

You ~can~ breed if you want too. If you don't want to then dont. If you want to breed her more then make sure to give some extra cal and a little more food. If not then cut back on the food a little but even still, give more plane cal. I usually give all my females more cal anyhoo. So the answer. Less food and make sure she cant see any male, she will cycle eggs anyway so trying to keep the clutch small should be your goal.

I know about the food and temps she gets 1 dubia every 3 days and a super on the weekends. I would love to breed her but I have no male and no room for babies.

if you dont want her to lay infertile eggs than dont feed her a lot...maybe 6 cricks every 2 days....even less and keep temps down a bit...that way she wont produce eggs...private message brad ramsey and he can help...hes a pro

Ha Ha!
I can't stop Agnes from cycling.
Lynda is the keeper who has had the best success with this ... and perhaps Eric Adrignola.
Every three months here, like clockwork, regardless of what I do.

-Brad

Thanks Brad! Just wish she didn't have to go through it if they were infertal :(

I agree, it's hard on them.
I don't think they cycle eggs this often in their natural environment.
Despite our best efforts, we still take care of them too well, creating constant "ideal" conditions for our animals which, in the females, regularly triggers their reproductive instincts.
The best thing I can do as a keeper (while still trying to figure out how to tweak the habitats) is to provide the best after laying care that I can.

-Brad

I agree, it's hard on them.
I don't think they cycle eggs this often in their natural environment.
Despite our best efforts, we still take care of them too well, creating constant "ideal" conditions for our animals which, in the females, regularly triggers their reproductive instincts.
The best thing I can do as a keeper (while still trying to figure out how to tweak the habitats) is to provide the best after laying care that I can.

-Brad

Yep I agree thanks once again brad.

She laid 40 eggs on Dec 31st 2008 is this too soon for her to be receptive again! I've cut her food way back to help prevent this as much as possible but not sure if it's working.

I would love to breed her but I don't have the space for babies in my small apartment.

Here she is

full

If you breed her i would be willing to buy he whole clutch, PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom