Cham in 18x18x24 Exo?

DaCrunchyCrabby

Hello, as the title says I’m looking for advice on if any chameleons can go into a 18x18x24 Exo terra? (For life or a majority of its life) I know ventilation is super important so I was thinking if I were to put a computer fan on the top if that would help with airflow and ventilation, I also have a mistking that I could hookup to keep up with humidity. I’m pretty new to the world of chameleons I keep dart frogs and red eyed croc skinks (and many other reptiles/amphibians) but never thought about owning a Cham until now. Ive taken care of a panther chameleon in the past for 2 months while my friend was on vacation, but that’s about the only experience I’ve had with chameleons. I feel pretty confident taking a step into chameleons so any advice/help would be appreciated!

Hi and welcome! I know there are some small chameleons that probably could live in a small cage. Is it glass or screen or a combo? Can you post a picture of it?

Hi,
That size enclosure is not suitable for most chameleons. It would be okay to keep a baby in that size, but it would out grow it very quickly. I made that mistake and I had to get a bigger enclosure after just 5 months. A mesh enclosure is also preferred. Glass enclosures can work, but it is a lot more work to keep your cham. healthy. However, it depends on the area you are in. Where I live, it is very cold and dry, so I use a glass enclosure in order to keep my temperature and humidity up. I know people who use a glass enclosure with a computer fan, and do great that way. My enclosure has a mesh top and ventilation holes towards the bottom, I take my cham. out quite frequently to relax on some plants & free roam. I'll open the enclosure door and let him roam. Just be cautious using a glass enclosure and know the risks!

You could easily keep brevicauda thus in a cage that size...or as @Livingstons Lizards said, hoehnelli or Elliotti chameleons in that size of a cage. The bigger problem might be finding them.
More likely Brookesia in this day and age with all these Madagascar imports coming. Unless the person lives in Europe and then they might find brevicaudatus.

But yes, as many people have noted, Carpet Chameleons (Furcifer lateralis) or Trioceros Ellioti (the something something chameleon) are good candidates. These two species don't have super demanding nighttime temperature drops as T. hoehnelli does. For ellioti, it is recommended that you aim for a nighttime temp drop of around 65F. For F. lateralis, these night temp drops are seasonal, making them a bit easier to care for in the summertime.

Also, if you have an exo terra or zoomed terrarium, they have ventilation at the bottom which should be sufficient. Just make sure not to over water the terrarium. You need something that will provide a chimney effect if all sides are closed off.

Welcome to the forum.
Hello, as the title says I’m looking for advice on if any chameleons can go into a 18x18x24 Exo terra? (For life or a majority of its life) I know ventilation is super important so I was thinking if I were to put a computer fan on the top if that would help with airflow and ventilation, I also have a mistking that I could hookup to keep up with humidity. I’m pretty new to the world of chameleons I keep dart frogs and red eyed croc skinks (and many other reptiles/amphibians) but never thought about owning a Cham until now. Ive taken care of a panther chameleon in the past for 2 months while my friend was on vacation, but that’s about the only experience I’ve had with chameleons. I feel pretty confident taking a step into chameleons so any advice/help would be appreciated!
Only the smaller species (e.g. carpet chameleons, pygmy species).

Of the 3 major species in the pet trade today (Veiled/Yemen, Panther, Jackson's), all require a minimum of 24 x 24 x 48, and 48 x 24 x 48 is recommended.
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/jacksons-chameleon-care/

If the ET is the one I'm looking at, it's also too short. Chameleons are most comfortable when their basking perch is at or above eye level.

A fan might help if there were an intake at the very bottom, but without that, air would most likely be drawn from around the fan rather than being drawn from deeper into the enclosure.

My best advice is to absorb the Chameleon Husbandry Program, learn about the various species, and go from there.

Also, it costs between $500-$1000 to properly set up a chameleon enclosure—not including the price of the chameleon.

The only concern I would have with using a fan, would be, it drying out too quickly. If you have a heat bulb or even a T5 bulb, that heat should be enough to cause the chimney effect in the Exo Terra or Zoo Med terrariums. Also as noted earlier, glass retains humidity much more efficiently wich can be a good thing for more montane species. But you also in turn need to water less than in a screen terrarium.

Thanks for the information everyone! Sorry I forgot to mention when I took care of my friends panther it was in his enclosure (3x2x4) my 18x18x24 (24” high) is an Exo tetra (screen on top and bottom) and I have plenty of extra basking bulbs and uvb fixtures. I live in Alberta Canada so it’s usually quite dry here and on the colder side.

The only concern I would have with using a fan, would be, it drying out too quickly. If you have a heat bulb or even a T5 bulb, that heat should be enough to cause the chimney effect in the Exo Terra or Zoo Med terrariums. Also as noted earlier, glass retains humidity much more efficiently wich can be a good thing for more montane species. But you also in turn need to water less than in a screen terrarium.
That can be easily addressed by making the fan temperature or humidity controlled—or both.
The guys at Coolerguys set me up for my beardie enclosure.

Those less technology-challenged than myself could probably just go directly to Amazon for what would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom