Cham Help

Kira

Hey guys, I'm preparing for my first chameleon and thought I'd ask for help from some experts. I'm planning on catching a Jackson's chameleon (they live here in the wild). I've got a cage all set up for her with bonsai trees, a basking light, waterfall, etc. but I need some help in the area of food. Any recomendations?

This may make me unpopular but I think you should leave the chameleons alone in the wild. You would be taking away her freedom and unless you can provide everything she needs perfectly then she may die prematurely.

Hello Kira, welcome to the chameleon forums :)

I would agree with Chamgirl. Do chams live in your yard? Can you legally purchase jackson chameleons? Check out this article from Chameleon News: Spunk Bob.

thanks for the replies! Now looking for a captive bred cham. What kind do you think would be the best for a beginner? I have a lot of experience in raising animals (everything from seahorses to land horses) just not chameleons before. Also, I still need help in the area of food. Thanks:)

food items & waterfalls

Hi kira

Firstly dont buy or collect chameleons from the wild as they will probably hold parasites and there's no reason for doing so with so many people breeding chams these days. Secondly forget the waterfull they are a breeding ground for bacteria which will cause you new chameleon resporatory issues.Thirdly go with a veild cham seeing as its your first chameleon as they are most tollerent to husbandry mistakes.Lastly here's a food list

CRICKETS
LOCUSTS
GRASSHOPPERS
ROACHES
FLYS
BEES(REMOVE STING)
ZOPHOBA(SUPERWORMS)
WAXWORMS(AS TREAT)
MEALWORMS
SILKWORMS
HORNWORMS(INSURE CAPTIVE BREEDING)
MOTHS
BUTTERFLYS
BEETLES
PINKIES

IF ANY OF THE ABOVE ARE COLLECTED FROM THE WILD INSURE THERE FROM A AREA THAT IS FREE FROM INSECTISIDES

Also if you do go with a veiled they also eat greens so make sure your plants DO NOT contain toxins

There are many chameleon websites that contain safe plant lists

Neil

I assume Kira is living in Hawaii (correct me if I am wrong). I think I recall reading that the importation of any chameleon into Hawaii is illegal. You should be able to find some local jackson breeders, but again I am unsure of the specific Hawaiian laws.

Thank you guys so much for all the info! I am on a trip in Hawaii but I live on the mainland so transportation won't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom