Cham enclosure

ChamRandall

Looking for a new cham enclosure (upgrading shortly) looking for a 2 ft x 2 x 2 glass terrarium or glass/screen mix terrarium, would anyone ship it or is in Ontario Canada region that is selling one?

Hi have you considered a hybrid enclosure full glass aren't great for ventilation what are you using at the moment. Dragon strand are a recommended brand or also zen habitats

I actually prefer a glass terrarium as it keeps the humidity levels where I need them and have done tons of research and decided this is the best type of terrarium for my Randall but for ventilation I wouldn’t mind having a terrarium that has 2 glass sides and 2 screened sides but those are hard to find

Ever thought about doing a DIY some members have upscaled household units like sideboards if that's what you call them in Canada. If I may ask do you prefer glass for viewing over a hybrid?

Yes I’m not very handy but I’m thinking about asking someone to make one for me. I don’t prefer the glass over hybrid for viewing purposes. I prefer it to keep humidity levels accurate and high enough. A hybrid one would be best because it would be able to keep the humidity as well as allow for air ventilation

Hi so your cham is around 5 months now . I see you never got around to fill out a husbandry form last month from your original thread doing this helps members help you and your cham which I would highly recommend. J did / thought I had done tons of research until I became a member here

Yea…2’ is way too short for a veiled or the majority of commonly kept chameleons. You’ll want to go at least 4’ high, which I don’t believe is commercially available in all glass. You’d have to have a custom build and then there’s the issues of weight, fragility and most importantly, ventilation. I would suggest an enclosure like Dragon Strand or Zen, which has already been mentioned. Three sides are enclosed with pvc and then the front is either screen, plexiglass or a combination that allows for good ventilation. The advantage of Dragon Strand is it comes with Dragon Ledges, which make it so very easy to hang branches, vines and even plants.
Veileds need only 30-50% humidity during the day, so unless you’re in a desert, you aren’t going to want it completely enclosed. Also, it’s much easier to boost humidity with live plants and misting than it is to reduce humidity, which you’d need a somewhat expensive dehumidifier.

Yea…2’ is way too short for a veiled or the majority of commonly kept chameleons. You’ll want to go at least 4’ high, which I don’t believe is commercially available in all glass. You’d have to have a custom build and then there’s the issues of weight, fragility and most importantly, ventilation. I would suggest an enclosure like Dragon Strand or Zen, which has already been mentioned. Three sides are enclosed with pvc and then the front is either screen, plexiglass or a combination that allows for good ventilation. The advantage of Dragon Strand is it comes with Dragon Ledges, which make it so very easy to hang branches, vines and even plants.
Veileds need only 30-50% humidity during the day, so unless you’re in a desert, you aren’t going to want it completely enclosed. Also, it’s much easier to boost humidity with live plants and misting than it is to reduce humidity, which you’d need a somewhat expensive dehumidifier.
Definitely don’t think you’re right about the 30-40% yes it’s good to dry it out to that before misting again but their humidity levels are supposed to be 60-85% I’ve done a lot of research as well as am friends with a vet thats owned several chameleons. I do have a dehumidifier that I use at night for my cham and he seems to be thriving in his environment already. Im not using ALL live plants because that is a terrible upkeep and maintenance that is too high. I have one or two live plants already in there.

Definitely don’t think you’re right about the 30-40% yes it’s good to dry it out to that before misting again but their humidity levels are supposed to be 60-85% I’ve done a lot of research as well as am friends with a vet thats owned several chameleons. I do have a dehumidifier that I use at night for my cham and he seems to be thriving in his environment already. Im not using ALL live plants because that is a terrible upkeep and maintenance that is too high. I have one or two live plants already in there.
If you have fake plants in his enclosure you would definitely want to remove those. They can eat them and cause impaction. There’s tons of plants that are really easy to keep, they also help with humidity and give you veil a small snack if prompted. If you’re in search of plants I can provide a list of the ones I have, I haven’t had to any mantinence with them really. Just repot them into organic soil and upgrade pots. In the end it’s super worth it, I promise. I just redid my enclosures and now all 3 have live plants. Has helped with humidity tremendously also makes the enclosure look nice too.

General humidity for a veil should 30-50 throughout the day, and at night you can raise the humidity up to 85+. They don’t need a lot of humidity.

Each type of chameleon has different humidity requirements. Veileds, also known as Yemen chameleons are from Yemen which is a drier climate than Madagascar where Panther chams and other species are from. For a panther, 50-70% humidity is ideal. Veileds, it is 30-50%. We also need to keep in mind that as we are constantly learning more about chameleons and their natural environments, husbandry ideals are always evolving. For example, up until not that long ago we were keeping our chams at temps of 85-95. It’s since been learned that the higher temps can shorten their lives and ideal is lower at 80-85. For the most accurate and up to date husbandry ideals, https://chameleonacademy.com/ is the place.
We all do things in our own ways and what works best for our individual situations, but try to remain as close to ideal as possible.

I don’t prefer the glass over hybrid for viewing purposes. I prefer it to keep humidity levels accurate and high enough. A hybrid one would be best because it would be able to keep the humidity as well as allow for air ventilation
I'd suggest a Zen because they fit your requirements, they're a better hybrid design & construction, the right size, readily available in Canada, and have free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom