cham deaths

Johnny909

Im still very new to this forum, and i feel for all of you who have lost a cham rencently, but i must ask, is this regular? Since i have joined there seems to have an awfull lot of sad news here.... Could this have to do with the change of seasons?

Im still very new to this forum, and i feel for all of you who have lost a cham rencently, but i must ask, is this regular? Since i have joined there seems to have an awfull lot of sad news here.... Could this have to do with the change of seasons?

no, this was just bad timing:eek:

everyone has had different situations that for some reason caused a huge random amount of deaths:(

Just know it is NOT always like this

I know my cham will require extra humidity in winter cause i heat alot. I get nosebleeds in winter caus the air gets so dry....

I know my cham will require extra humidity in winter cause i heat alot. I get nosebleeds in winter caus the air gets so dry....
sorry for your nosebleeds:p, but good idea for preparing for the winter and considering the area you live in:)

i dot worry too much since i live in California, but the real lucky ones are people who live in Florida:rolleyes::cool:, best place to raise chams:cool:

Contrary to what has been said. Yes, this is normal. Chameleons do not live for very long and wild caughts are even harder to acclimate and keep. Besides a few species, 5 years is the appx. time to keep a chameleon. It is a hard hobby and if you want to be a real breeder in any species you need to know that it is just a part of it.

I agree with Cain. For two years I experienced a zero mortality rate but in 2010 I lost 6-7 chams (males/females) over a four month period. It's unfortunate but a harsh reality.

Contrary to what has been said. Yes, this is normal. Chameleons do not live for very long and wild caughts are even harder to acclimate and keep. Besides a few species, 5 years is the appx. time to keep a chameleon. It is a hard hobby and if you want to be a real breeder in any species you need to know that it is just a part of it.

You posted just what I planned to say. All I will add is to remember we have a lot of members, and that equals a lot of chameleons. So we have to keep perspective. Losing a chameleon is hard and a lot of people share because we all support each other here.

For me the sickness and death of all the chams, all the time, is the hardest part of being on this forums and sadly it gets worse every year after Christmas because of all the new chams purchased for Christmas.

Chameleons are not exactly the best pet if you want something that will live more than about 4-5 years. They also tend to rake up vet bills when ill, and sometimes even just normally. It happens. Death is just a part of life. If you are lucky and a good keeper you might be able to keep a veiled or panther alive for 7+ years.

Now, what's sad if when a favorite girl chameleon dies from egg binding and you have to cut her open to pull out the eggs. It's also pretty dang confusing to look at. I don't even know remotely which organs are which but I'm sure a book would help.

Every so often there is a lot of cham deaths and sadly it seems to be happening again. Having had my own chameleon die it is such an awful feeling of sadness and hopelessness. I really feel for everyone who has lost a cham at any time, not just at Christmas, as I truly know how hard it is to go through.

Back
Top Bottom