Cham crawling on screen a lot?

Escalade

Lately my cham has been hanging upside down on the top screen right under the uvb light. Hes been doing this for a couple days and I don't know why. The uvb light is brand new and its six inches above his basking spot.

Its kind of annoying because I cant hand feed when hes upside down he wont eat it.

My Girl Panther does that as well sometimes.... I just figured she is trying something different and basking in a new way. As long as she isn't constantly up there, I never get too worried about it.... senior members? :)

Younger chameleons do this often. As long as he can get down, it's not anything to be worried about. When they get older they should do it less. Also don't be alarmed if a few of his nails come out eventually. It won't harm
them.

Last edited:
My young veiled chameleon was doing this a lot. I eventually ended up running a vine throughout the top of his enclosure and now he seems to enjoy climbing on the vine more than the screen cage. Hope this helps.

babies climb on the screens all the time.
EIther because they want more heat on their belly, or becuase they can.

my babys did that exact same thing all the time i think its because they love to just soak up that uvb

try taking him out for some sun hell love it:p

my babys did that exact same thing all the time i think its because they love to just soak up that uvb

try taking him out for some sun hell love it:p

its pretty cold here in Boston lol its times like these when I wished I lived in cali

It seems to be a popular trait among younger chameleons, my veiled had a short phase of climbing on the screen, i added more vines and it seemed to break the habit.

both of myn love to do this there seems to be no reason they do it even when the lights are off

I think its simply their way of exploring their cage.
WHen my guy did this over and over and over for a few weeks, I began preparing his adult set up. now he roams on his plant some, but not much.
(Cept for when he decides he wants to go hang on the window.. he free ranges)
Remember, in the wild they have so much room to explore.. in captivity when they dont have that much space, they roam where they can.

My chams are always climbing on the sides and sometimes on the roof. They get themselves in some right tangles too!

Back
Top Bottom