Cham caging questions

xnoslen

I'm new to chameleons and i have a few questions. I have yet to buy a ychameleon, but when i get my young male veiled, i was was wondering how well a 29gallon fish tank would work for it(lxwxh - 30x12x18). I know in the future i will have to upgrade, but until what size should i keep him in there if i can?

Where are you from? I bought a cage topper for my 29 gallon tanks and it has been awesome. This way you get the best of both worlds, humidity increased in the enclosure but airflow optimized on the top half. I don't know why more people don't use them or even discuss them.

A little difficult to do daily cleanings in the aquarium but it is only for a couple of months anyway.

I just ordered a new cage from Blue beast Reptiles and will be selling my cage topper. They only make up to 20 gallon tanks so I just fixed it to work.

Dont ever put a cham in a fish tank... Get it an all screen vertical cage... Tyler Stewart has some really nice used ones for sale now... Putting it inside a fish tank will probably kill it in short order...

Hey Vegas,

what do you think of those splits? Honest opinion is great. I have not heard any discussion on them.

Aquarium bottom half and the cage toppers they sell which are all screen, maybe 1/4" by 1/4" up top. My cham spends all the time up in the top half but once a day will hang out right below the halfway mark in the aquarium side.

To clarify a little… you can and should (?) keep really young chams in small kritter keeper type enclosures so you can maintain humidity and keep an eye on there food intake on an individual level; some don’t… To each is there own… So you CAN…
Personally… Again, what works for me and others might suck for you or another… But I think that a 100% screen enclosure is the best cage for your chameleon, you get the total airflow with being able to clean easily and not having a basin at the bottom for whatever to amass. They like to be as high as possible most of the time, they are airborial, its kinda what they do… Mine will also descend from the top when they need to cool down a bit as well… With the bottom half glass you might not be getting such a good temp gradient. But again… If it works, stick with it I suppose… I just think that a screen is the way to go.

I am waiting for my new cage from blue beast so I definitely am going with that way. I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience. I think this serves an option to those who already have an aquarium to make it work for a few months.

I really like the overall construction of it. I would love to have a total screen set up with this size screen openings. Easy to see through, easier to setup vines, feeding cups, etc.

Back
Top Bottom