Cham and Beardie Roomies?

Pi11ow

Established Member
I built a new enclosure for our bearded dragon. It’s 66x24x36 it’s going into the living room. But, our male panthers enclosure is in the living room now. I know panther chameleons aren’t supposed to have enclosures placed within view of each other. My question is whether or not he will be stressed by seeing her 24/7? Since he hates everyone and everything I feel like he may enjoy seeing her being snatched out of her enclosure and tortured by all the affection my family gives her. Haha. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1BD447E9-028D-4F45-B2CB-1F04BA1932C8.jpeg
    1BD447E9-028D-4F45-B2CB-1F04BA1932C8.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 67
  • A9F3783D-848F-4BC0-ADA0-407A5F31ED3D.jpeg
    A9F3783D-848F-4BC0-ADA0-407A5F31ED3D.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 76
I built a new enclosure for our bearded dragon. It’s 66x24x36 it’s going into the living room. But, our male panthers enclosure is in the living room now. I know panther chameleons aren’t supposed to have enclosures placed within view of each other. My question is whether or not he will be stressed by seeing her 24/7? Since he hates everyone and everything I feel like he may enjoy seeing her being snatched out of her enclosure and tortured by all the affection my family gives her. Haha. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
We have no issues with our chameleon’s seeing the dragons . However they are not housed in the same room . They are out in the living daily . The Leo however was going to be dinner we had to move him .

When I had dragons my male panthers could see them without any issues. Your main concern will be coccidia, so always make sure you are washing your hands with soap and water, and also I made it a practice to feed my chameleons first, and dragons last.

^^ THIS!

Shouldn't be a problem. My veiled doesn't mind my beardies.

Also, your beardie is very cute. Though she is a little chubby haha! Very lucky girl.

A little chubby is an understatement. My wife is a soft touch, Thelma gives her the puppy eyes when she’s feeding the juvenile Chams daily so she sneaks her feeders. And the whole twice a week feed them as much as they’ll eat in 10 minutes thing...she’s voracious.

Thing is she eats a ton of fruit and veg too. I think she may have had feast or famine feeding with her previous owner. But we are working on it.

Maybe put her on a weight loss regimen. When my adult beardie, Mars, was overweight post-op (he had 2 surgeries within 4 weeks of eachother), I fed him his crickets once a week, and then he got just plain salads without any fruit add ons 1-2 times a week. He was a proper weight within about 1-2 months. Still lazy but doing much better!

I have 2 beardies. One has half of a tail and is lazy, one will eat everything under the sun (he cant even have paper towel for substrate. He'll eat every square inch of it within the day) but has a vomiting problem. Juno is 10 month old and is the size of a 5 month. I am trying out a blended diet with him with lots of added calories to see if it will help him grow.

Last edited:
Well she’s only supposed to get bugs twice a week. But we put greens, fruits, and whatever safe veggies we are preparing for dinner in there daily. I’m hoping the enclosure upgrade will give her more opportunity to run around. But I don’t know what to else to do short of locking the enclosure top. So stray crickets and superworms don’t find their way in there.

I would stop giving her fruits, they are sugary. Feed her insects with less fat (No supers or waxworms) once a week and give her salad without fruits 2-3 times a week. See if that helps. Worked for my big boy.

Back
Top Bottom