Cham aggression

andy27012

do male panthers normally mellow some with age? I have a six month old that hates being handled, to the point he jumps off my arm to get away.
image.jpg

Pre cleaning
image.jpeg

Post cleaning

I take him out during his weekly cleaning to try and get a good look at him to make sure I don't see any health concerns.

Chams generally don't like being handled. Some do mellow out with age, however not all will. One thing to try and help is to add more folliage to the cage. It will help keep your Cham feeling safe, and this is a way to help them actually enjoy being handled.
It also helps to build trust by hand feeding first

do you think I need more foliage? Currently I have a very dense bush that fills almost the entire cage, I honestly don't think I could fit more in. He was on the door to the cage in the top pic.

Some can be aggressive. Some can be very sociable. I have many males I have some that are really aggressive that try to bite me everytime I take them out. And then I have some that just want you to hold them. Try not to take them out too many times a day. Try working on every other day seems to work for some of mine

I wish I could put a video just show you one of mine. I take the him out put him on the floor he chases me around the room:ROFLMAO:

I would prefer he be aggressive, he is briefly when I first get him out but I make it quick so as not to stress him more then I have to, my concern is he goes to flight mode almost immediately and I gonestly didn't know chams could run or jump! He's quick for a Cham and jumps maybe two to three inches, whatever he can do to escape. Makes it impossible to hold him at all. The only time he stops is if I cup him in my hands he curls up like he's going to sleep but he's jet black!

I don't know she dosent seem her self she as been to the vets and he took a lump off herface and she as not been right since then

A lump? Was it an abcess or was it solid, do you have a photo of her when she had it? A million questions, but what did the vet say and how long ago. When the vet puts them under, sometimes they have a little trouble waking up. I had one w surgery and she was ok but not for a few days

Just keep working with him. He should come around. Don't give up and just give in that he is mean and cannot be handled. Do you ever try and hand feed him?? It might help him gain some trust in you that you are not going to harm him.

I have a cham that, I think, may have a little ptsd or brain damage or something. When i received her in the mail she had gotten so cold that ger back legs didnt move and she looked dead. I ran to the cage i had prepared for her and held my hand under the basking light. After a while, she opened 1 eye! I was so excited. Her name is Zero. She was mean as hell. Swaying, hissing, putting her hands in front and aggressive...mean. she even hissed at food. She hated everything. Still doe except me. I have the food. I open the cage door and here she comes. She once made a strike at the mole on my forhead. She does love food. Feed your cham from yr fingers. If her tongue sticks to your hand sometimes, wet your fingers. I keep a cup of water on her cage to wet my hand a little. She is so aggresive, her tongue strike is like a hammer.

do you think I need more foliage? Currently I have a very dense bush that fills almost the entire cage, I honestly don't think I could fit more in. He was on the door to the cage in the top pic.
The breeder I got mine from usually by 8 months they become more social. I remember one woman commenting on a status I made like this a few months back and she told me it took all the way up to a year. Mine is 5 months old. Had since 3 weeks. He use to turn black. He doesn't necessarily jump off me....more like start walking way to fast and falls...which is why I hold him over carpet or a rug lol!!mine doesn't normally turn black anymore....sometimes he doesn't mind sometimes he puffs at me. I know he turn black everytime I take him outside for the first 5 min. Then after that he is back to his happy colors. I handle mine almost everyday for a brief time. Take him outside for an hour almost everyday and set him on a plant of some sort. He seems to really like it now. But still doesn't care for me too much. So just keep being patient and he may come around :) at least he isn't trying to bite.

Have one that I take out of the tank. You think he's nuzzling his head against your arm. But he's actually trying to chew it off

Back
Top Bottom