CFL Question

dagy24

I know theres some debate about the use of Compact Fluorescent Lights because some models of UV CFL's have been shown to cause problems.

I'm simply looking for a light that won't emit heat that can brighten the cage. I wish I had gotten double fluorescent fixtures but I didn't and I don't want to buy two more hoods. Can I use a regular household cfl for extra light? What about the ones with a bulb around the coil?

I may be paranoid, but I'm not using any cfls because of the health problems associated with the UV cfls. It's cheaper to buy another fixture ($10 at home depot) than cause a chameleon health problems.

I used a household CFL for a quick fix and my panther (whose had CFL UVB bulbs his whole life) immediately started squinting and keeping his eyes closed during the day. Upon removing the bulb he was fine. I think the household CFL bulbs are too bright.

I suppose you could try those LED cluster bulbs (sold as "low energy" halogen down lighter replacements - in reality they are much dimmer and useless for down lighting, but could be perfect for you) Otherwise, have a look at the "daylight" bulbs sold for acquariums

But all lights will give off some heat

Back
Top Bottom