CFL Lighting

JJuchems

I have searched here, the web, and other forums. It seems over all, everyone is just not using CFL UV light on their herps for the most part. I have used the Exo-Terra 5.0 CFL bulb on a few of my 12x12x18 Dart Frog set-ups (2 years). It also seems the information on http://www.uvguide.co.uk is outdated, with part of the data self removed. Is anyone currently using CFL? If so what type are you using? I was looking at the 5.0 Exo-Terra for Jackson's, but I may just go with the tube florescent.

I have searched here, the web, and other forums. It seems over all, everyone is just not using CFL UV light on their herps for the most part. I have used the Exo-Terra 5.0 CFL bulb on a few of my 12x12x18 Dart Frog set-ups (2 years). It also seems the information on http://www.uvguide.co.uk is outdated, with part of the data self removed. Is anyone currently using CFL? If so what type are you using? I was looking at the 5.0 Exo-Terra for Jackson's, but I may just go with the tube florescent.

Hi..I think the majority of people on here use the 5.0 UVB tubes for lighting because the CFL's can cause eye problems. I also have a Jackson's and I use the 5.0 UVB Tube for him.

With the CFLs, it amounts to "Once burned, twice shy" or "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
No one wants to take a chance.
Like many others, I use the linear Reptisun 5.0 bulbs, just to be safe.

Awhile ago, I used ReptiGlo 5.0 CLFs on a number of adult panters for 6 months (what I believed was the life span of the bulb). NO PROBLEMS. I didnt even know there were potential issues, at the time. Then I read about some CFLs causing eye issues, so I switched back to tubes (either reptiglo or reptisun) just to be safe.
Now, I still mostly use tubes. But I'll probably switch back to CFLs on some of the smaller enclosures soon. The ReptiGlo CFL, as far as I know, was never one of the ones that caused issues.

edit: In my local reptile community, it is generally agreed that ReptiGlo brand CFLs are safe.

And many of those other brands that did cause issues have been / are being fixed.
That said, for the moment, the Reptisun 5.0 tube is currently considered the best option for chameleons, and I dont disagree.

Here are some previous threads you might think are related/informative
https://www.chameleonforums.com/compact-flourescent-bulb-just-curious-20305/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/compact-uv-18803/#post158528
https://www.chameleonforums.com/updated-info-cf-uvb-lamps-29318/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/repti-sun-cfl-old-vs-new-31927/

Last edited:
I have not read or heard of any issues arising from the use of the Exo-Terra or newly designed ZooMed. That is why I am posing the question. I assume their are plenty of people using the CFL's or they would not still be on the market.

EDIT:
The reason I am asking is I am trying stream line the animal room. I would prefer to use all CFL's or all tubes.

I don't own a cham yet but the impression I am getting from the info I have come across is that you probably want to go all tubes. Even if there is a slim possibility the CFL can cause an eye problem I personally wouldn't risk it. I have already dropped about $500 bucks on my set up and still have a long way to go and when you are dealing with all that time/money spent wouldn't you want to get the best components possible to make the most ideal environment for the guy?

Last edited:
I personally used a CFL reptiglo 5.0 on pedro when he was young and I had no clue
it was harmful.
It did cause eye irritation in both eyes.
I switched to the tube reptiglo 5.0 and within a couple days he quit closing his eye,ect,ect.
Its better safe than sorry.
Always.

http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulWeldon.html

This a whole article on lighting by Dave Weldon.

A quote from the article:

"In this example, an 8 month old Exo-Terra 26W Reptiglo 5.0 CFL is mounted in a standard Exo-Terra hood with shiny metal reflector. At approximately 6" this unit measures a safe and effective 22 uW/cm2."

You can not say a 8 month old CFL is safe and then say its safe to use a
brand new CFL light.
CFL bulb, like another other uvb bulb/tube, looses uvb as it ages.

A normal 5.0 reptisun linear tube will not produce (normally) enough uvb at 6 months.

That CFL still has enough uvb at 8 months.
Think of how powerful it was when it was brand new to continue to have efficient uvb 8 months later.

Oh well I was told to change them 6month regardless so I was assuming.
My bad but you still cant compare a 8month old reptiglo to a brand new one.
Ive used CFL reptiglows and it messed up pedros eyes :/

Ive used CFL reptiglows and it messed up pedros eyes :/

There are other factors that could have caused this. Did you allow a burn in time? Did you use an aluminum / shiny reflector (dramatically changes the shape of the UVB beam)? How many inches away from the animal was the CFL placed? People can easily make the mistake of putting a CFL directly on top of the cage, in a shiny dome fixture, because it seems a natural thing to do (but is not a great idea)

The reason I am asking is I am trying stream line the animal room. I would prefer to use all CFL's or all tubes.

Just as easy, and possibly safer, to just go all tubes.
I found putting cages side by side and running long tubes across the tops of multiple cage works well.

I had it in a porclin dome (you know the one by flukers) I had it suspended maybe 3 inches and tilted to the side so it got most of the cage instead of just one spot.
So three inches suspended and titled the bulb wasnt anywhere close to him.
Still he had the eye problem.

I think its just best to use linear tubes so you can avoid all this what ifs :/

lighting

Hi..I think the majority of people on here use the 5.0 UVB tubes for lighting because the CFL's can cause eye problems. I also have a Jackson's and I use the 5.0 UVB Tube for him.

i have had chams for about 10 years now and i have never had a problem with my coil 5.0 uvb...i never herd of it being a problem until i joined forums .I dont know whats right anymore.

You can not say a 8 month old CFL is safe and then say its safe to use a
brand new CFL light.
CFL bulb, like another other uvb bulb/tube, looses uvb as it ages.

A normal 5.0 reptisun linear tube will not produce (normally) enough uvb at 6 months.

That CFL still has enough uvb at 8 months.
Think of how powerful it was when it was brand new to continue to have efficient uvb 8 months later.

P&A - You probably shouldn't just start telling people things or giving advice when you are by your own admission assuming. It won't take long for you to experience how some of the members respond to people who do that.

Six months is generally considered the length of time we can say a bulb will definitely maintain its UV output before needing to be replaced. Bulbs can last much longer than that, however, but without a UVB meter, you won't be able to tell, which is why people recommend 6 months as an estimate. With a UVB meter, however, you can use a bulb to its true life. Different bulbs, even of the same type, will maintain or lose their radiance levels to different degrees and making an assumption of what the output was when a bulb was new based on a reading after whatever period is nothing more than pure guessing.

With regard to the photo in the article of an 8 month old bulb that you're saying you can't make inferences about the safety of a new bulb from, since that is my photo from my setup, I'll make a couple comments. I personally used a UVB meter to test its placement and output starting when I first installed it as a new bulb. By using a UVB meter, I was able to make sure the radiance levels were safe where the bulb was placed rather than just guess. Having done that, I have never experienced a problem with my ReptiGlo 5.0 CFLs and I have >25 running at the moment.

Before you go making any more assumptions, do you have anything to indicate that your ReptiGlo CFL was defective and that the problem was not because you either placed it too close or from something else entirely? Did you measure the UVB radiance levels where you placed the bulb to make sure it was placed correctly? I personally don't just assume that any given distance for a bulb will be fine and recommend everyone use a UVB meter verify the placement of their bulbs as even the most common bulb can be ineffective and possibly dangerous if placed improperly.

Chris

Last edited:
i have had chams for about 10 years now and i have never had a problem with my coil 5.0 uvb...i never herd of it being a problem until i joined forums .I dont know whats right anymore.

What brand do you use?

There are other factors that could have caused this. Did you allow a burn in time? Did you use an aluminum / shiny reflector (dramatically changes the shape of the UVB beam)? How many inches away from the animal was the CFL placed? People can easily make the mistake of putting a CFL directly on top of the cage, in a shiny dome fixture, because it seems a natural thing to do (but is not a great idea)

I have been an active member in my herp society and have worked as a keeper, I would say most health issues I have seen have been keeper errors. That is why I am asking for brands people have used without issue. I love how people just place lights on top of screen cages, the animal has no where to go to get out of the light.

Back
Top Bottom