Ceftazidime Help

Karliah

My hoehnelii male has an infection in his leg. (See previous thread here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/help-swollen-foot.147781/) Vet has now prescribed ceftazidime. He weighs 10g. Strength is 10mg/ml. Directions are to give 0.02ml every day for 12 days. The dosage/weight checks out, fine but everyrhing I've seen on it was every two or three days, not every day. Is this too frequent? I'm going to start the course tonight, but don't want to give him another injection tomorrow if I shouldn't be doing it every day.

I recall 1 dose every day for 10 doses, please make sure to keep him super hydrated during treatment any time antibiotics are used.

If he is still feeding try to inject the meds into a wax worm to reduce stress from handling.

I recall 1 dose every day for 10 doses, please make sure to keep him super hydrated during treatment any time antibiotics are used.

If he is still feeding try to inject the meds into a wax worm to reduce stress from handling.
He has not eaten. He's been "force fed" liquid food while he's been ill. I'm still not sure. I can find no refence to anywhere that reccomends a dose a day for these guys. Or any animal for that matter.

Is the dose to be given inter muscular? If so obviously don't inject it into a bug.
Yes it's IM. I won't be injecting it into a bug, even if he'd eat the bug.

My boss gave me this book to look over. It says once every three days at 20mg/kg for reptiles (which is what his doses are tailored to thankfully)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'll wait to see if some vets respond. I'm not seeing much in the way of a dose a day, so I'm leaning towards every three days. But what do I know, I'm not a vet, lol.

I have used it in the past and recently picked up some more from my vet. It states every 72 hours. Injection site should be in one of the front legs IM.

Last edited:
I finished a course of this on my Jackson's about a month ago. It worked well, but I was giving IM shots once every 72 hours, as everyone else has said. My vet also had me giving my chameleon subcutaneous fluids with each antibiotic injection. The whole course lasted three weeks, then I took him back to the office for a follow-up and we decided he was good.

Maybe you should call your vet and let them know your concerns. S/he's the only one who's examined your chameleon, so you should at least try and touch base with them to make sure there wasn't a rationale for upping the frequency of the shots.

I finished a course of this on my Jackson's about a month ago. It worked well, but I was giving IM shots once every 72 hours, as everyone else has said. My vet also had me giving my chameleon subcutaneous fluids with each antibiotic injection. The whole course lasted three weeks, then I took him back to the office for a follow-up and we decided he was good.

Maybe you should call your vet and let them know your concerns. S/he's the only one who's examined your chameleon, so you should at least try and touch base with them to make sure there wasn't a rationale for upping the frequency of the shots.
When I was at the vets office waiting for the meds, I could hear the vet and a tech talking. She (the vet) was telling him how much to dispense and what to put on the label, and said "...every day for twelve days." The tech said "I thought this stuff was every 72 hours?" She responded by saying "It usually is, but chemeleons and especially little ones like this guy have such fast metabolisms that they need it every day."
If I had not overheard this conversation, I might have pondered why she prescribed once a day when I'd read about once every 3 days, but would have followed her instructions anyway. Hearing her say how FAST chams metabolisms are started to make me question everything.

The only
When I was at the vets office waiting for the meds, I could hear the vet and a tech talking. She (the vet) was telling him how much to dispense and what to put on the label, and said "...every day for twelve days." The tech said "I thought this stuff was every 72 hours?" She responded by saying "It usually is, but chemeleons and especially little ones like this guy have such fast metabolisms that they need it every day."
If I had not overheard this conversation, I might have pondered why she prescribed once a day when I'd read about once every 3 days, but would have followed her instructions anyway. Hearing her say how FAST chams metabolisms are started to make me question everything.
I'd hold off and call them on Monday so you don't od the little guy in the meantime!

^I would do it the other way around. I would start treatment and then call them. The vet knew about the usual dose and wants to give a higher one. He had a reason for it.
***I am not a vet and I am not giving vet advise. I am trying to follow the vet advise.

^I would do it the other way around. I would start treatment and then call them. The vet knew about the usual dose and wants to give a higher one. He had a reason for it.
***I am not a vet and I am not giving vet advise. I am trying to follow the vet advise.
She (the vet) only prescribed a higher dose because for some reason she thinks chameleons have a fast metabolism, which they do not. I may still call to see what she has to say, but I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it every 3 days.

Ceftazidime is not metabolized, and it is excreted by the kidney. No effect on the liver. As mentioned before, keep him well hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom