cecrops eyed silkmoth Safe for cham?

ElmerH305

396EE3DE-F1BB-4DB1-9974-153EA266C135.png
BE79524F-C2AD-41D0-B7C7-A9A0BB57868B.png

have these munching on a hibiscus plant outside my house that I know is not being treated with anything, would these be safe for my panther chameleon?

you said..."The moths are fine to feed. Just not much nutritional value"...what do the caterpillars eat? If what they eat is poisonous won't the moths be poisonous too?

Yes if what they ate was poisonous but in this case it is safe because this species is found in higher altitutes of Arizona and New Mexico, and south into Mexico. It does feed on oak as well as ceonothus, mimosa and mountain mahogony which is all safe for chamemeon consumption. The adult moth do not eat or drink as you already know. The chams love em. My brother feeds em to his veiled.

Yes if what they ate was poisonous but in this case it is safe because this species is found in higher altitutes of Arizona and New Mexico, and south into Mexico. It does feed on oak as well as ceonothus, mimosa and mountain mahogony which is all safe for chamemeon consumption. The adult moth do not eat or drink as you already know. The chams love em. My brother feeds em to his veiled.
Oh yeah, the also eat on hibiscus.LOL

Sounds like the moths would be safe then!
What is your opinion on the caterpillar? I'm not sure if the hair would affect the cham. Wanting to get other opinions. My brother said he handles them with no problem but never fed one to his cham because he's not sure either.

With that type of caterpillar, from what I've read, it can vary from person to person how bad the reaction can be from those stinging "hairs". I wouldn't want to risk it with my chameleons.

Here's what happens with a relative of that caterpillar...

One more of the Io caterpillar...a relative....

Last edited:
With that type of caterpillar, from what I've read, it can vary from person to person how bad the reaction can be from those stinging "hairs". I wouldn't want to risk it with my chameleons.

Here's what happens with a relative of that caterpillar...

One more of the Io caterpillar...a relative....

Someone should probably check that second guy's basement for remains of missing humans.

I haven’t handled them but there’s tons on my hibiscus plant, gonna try to contain a couple and breed a moth I guess , never want to risk my boy

Back
Top Bottom