caught redhanded!

Others are noting that they certainly will eat fruits and other vegetation on occasion. Our experience is that they seem to do it even more while juvenile.

Shauna, can you link us to where it is documented that they "don't eat fruit in the wild" ? It has been documented that many in the drier seasons of northern Madagascar will eat berries there. Do you think a vet would have such specific knowledge, although I expect most would say that they can think of no reason to think it not OK ?

No, I can't document that they don't eat fruit in the wild, but I would love to see documentation that they do. I'm certainly open to changing my mind about that, which is why I stated that I could be wrong, and I just suggested that she ask before feeding him too much.

As I said, I am not an expert in chameleon digestion, but I would love to learn more if you could share :) As stated, my concern was not about eating fruit, it was about the acidity in the strawberries. I know humans can easily get sores on their tongues and upset stomachs from eating tomatoes and strawberries, so I was thinking about those issues. I would love to hear your opinion on that. Do you feed your chams fruit, and do you think it is beneficial to their health?

I have several panthers that eat apple or squash if offered with a pair of tongs. Some wont touch it but some take a bite and then go back for more so its not a fluke. I have never had any go for greens for some reason. Apparently a matter of taste and an individual thing at least for captive panthers.

LIES! Mine will only eat old wet potho leaves...

That is a study of wild chameleons.
Not all chameleons will eat fruit or veggies, it depends on your specific chams likes and dislikes. Just like all humans do not eat the same food, it varies quite a bit.

I have not tried blueberries yet.
Something to keep in mind is that you can not feed these to your Cham everyday. You should make it an occasional treat only.

Here is a list of items you can and can't use and why that is -
http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

I have several panthers that eat apple or squash if offered with a pair of tongs. Some wont touch it but some take a bite and then go back for more so its not a fluke. I have never had any go for greens for some reason. Apparently a matter of taste and an individual thing at least for captive panthers.

Loki isn't a big fan of greens but he will eat snap peas on occasion, he is more of a fruit fan.
my veiled likes more veggies VS fruit although he will eat strawberries

Cool to see him eat some fruit, How did you introduce it to him? or did he just naturally go for it?

This panther im raising can be a bit picky at times, but when the hibiscus starts blooming im hoping he will eat some blossoms too.

How do you get a chameleon to come to you? Ours, you have grab or coherse. I have tried putting my hand up and holding it in front of it for a few minutes. It just looks at me, like, NO.

Well that's a new one... I have a panther or two,, ok maybe too many anyway not a single one of my panthers eat fruit. Some will bite a leaf once in awhile .but that's it.

How do you get a chameleon to come to you? Ours, you have grab or coherse. I have tried putting my hand up and holding it in front of it for a few minutes. It just looks at me, like, NO.

It's more of a trusting thing, you need to give them freedom. You should leave the door open and let them roam out on their own. Once they have done this a few times they will start to come out more. Or so it with treats if your guy is stubborn. I never had issues with my boys and my eldest is a veiled.

OK, this thread caught my interest, so today I presented a raspberry to my panther just to see what he would do and sure enough he gobbled it down and then ate another.

OK, this thread caught my interest, so today I presented a raspberry to my panther just to see what he would do and sure enough he gobbled it down and then ate another.

Very nice! Just be sure to not feed him anymore for a little while. It has to be treated like a dessert

Raspberries

Excellent source of extra fiber content.
Ca:p 1.8:1, Pro: 0.9%, Fat: 0.6%, Water: 87%, Fiber: 6.8%
OCCASIONAL AND/OR TREAT

Back
Top Bottom