Caught Red Handed

lokiopolis

Established Member
PXL_20210322_190159548.jpg

The new pothos hasn't even been in a full 24 hours and we have already started on the all you can eat salad bar. You'd think at the rate she munches in the poor plants that I starve her!

That's a veiled female for you! Why do they do this in captivity when it's said they don't do this in the wild??
I'm partly convinced she knows that if I see her munching on leaves she might get an extra roach or bsfl out of me as I try to deflect her to eating something else (not my plants!)

That's a veiled female for you! Why do they do this in captivity when it's said they don't do this in the wild??

Are we absolutely sure they don't do this in the wild? They simply maybe eating plant matter on the sly, after all we cannot yet watch them 24/7 in the wild as of yet....

Of course I doubt people have put pothos out in their natural range to see if they opportunist plant snackers on more "succulent" plants.

I don't think pothos grow naturally in Yemen...but they do munch on other plants in captivity as well.

I'm sure it's been said that veiled females and males both munch about the same amount in the wild.

I don't think pothos grow naturally in Yemen...but they do munch on other plants in captivity as well.

I'm sure it's been said that veiled females and males both munch about the same amount in the wild.

I know pothos don't grow in Yemen, I was suggesting that maybe someone should put some potted pothos out in their range to see if the wild ones munch on it as well.

Maybe there are plants that we offer in captivity are such that the animal can process in a manner that makes it worth while for these animals to eat it, especially advantageous for a species that has a very short time to grow and pass on the next generation in the wild.

I know pothos don't grow in Yemen, I was suggesting that maybe someone should put some potted pothos out in their range to see if the wild ones munch on it as well.

Maybe there are plants that we offer in captivity are such that the animal can process in a manner that makes it worth while for these animals to eat it, especially advantageous for a species that has a very short time to grow and pass on the next generation in the wild.
It might be interesting to see if the wild ones would eat it.

It's been said that they don't digest the leaves in the wild...but I've never found leaves in the feeds of any of my female veileds that have eaten pothos. I don't have any proof of why they eat them either. Someone needs to do a study.

I do know that the oxalates don't seem to bother them IR cause them any health issues though.

It might be interesting to see if the wild ones would eat it.

It's been said that they don't digest the leaves in the wild...but I've never found leaves in the feeds of any of my female veileds that have eaten pothos. I don't have any proof of why they eat them either. Someone needs to do a study.

I do know that the oxalates don't seem to bother them IR cause them any health issues though.
I´ve the same questions. And wrote something in my blog about it, under bullet 1 + 2. If we would share the same basics, maybe we would come closer to an answer. I´m really curious if my observations are is just isolated situation / individual or if more keepers have noticed this behaviour with the same parameters.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/state-of-mind.2461/

Oh no the potho broke out in triangle shaped leaf damage. HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?

"they dont eat veg matter for nutrition, they cant digest it"

Raise your hand if you have seen undigested potho leaves in the poop. Ill be waiting :)

I don't know if the reason for plant eating in captivity will ever be able to be solved. It's going to require a scientific study that finds that they only do it under certain circumstances I think.

I don't know if the reason for plant eating in captivity will ever be able to be solved. It's going to require a scientific study that finds that they only do it under certain circumstances I think.
Our `field`keepers feedback. Who is experiencing leave eating and who isn´t? What are each others conditions / circumstances? I think this is the ultimate platform to do such poll, with so many members . Sorry, just thinking out loud 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom