Caught eating dirt

Peeps101

Established Member
I came home with some new crickets and as I was dumping them in their container I see Silly climb down to one of his pothos plants, I assume hes eating the leaves but when I walk over he sticks his tongue in the middle of the dirt two times, chews, and swallows. I found small-ish rocks to shove inside the middle of the plant, I already had the dirt covered with rocks but I didn’t think he’d go towards the middle where it’s mostly covered by the stems. Should he be okay? I’ve never caught him doing this before, I also already fed him today.. (he is a veiled cham, about 7 months, if that helps).. thanks.

Last edited:
Mine sneaks dirt no matter how many layers of river rocks I stack. Make sure the soil is organic and fertilizer free, and I’d get rid of those small rocks and replace them with large ones (or none at all).

So it is pretty common for them to go after the dirt no matter what you try to do. I use large river rock 1 inch and bigger... I stack it in the pots about 2 inches deep so my guy can't really see it as well. What supplements are you dusting feeders with and what is your schedule?
He should be ok just keep an eye on him to make sure he is still passing stool as normal.

Mine sneaks dirt no matter how many layers of river rocks I stack. Make sure the soil is organic and fertilizer free, and I’d get rid of those small rocks and replace them with large ones (or none at all).
I don’t know what type of dirt it is. I bought it from Home Depot, would a picture of it help?

So it is pretty common for them to go after the dirt no matter what you try to do. I use large river rock 1 inch and bigger... I stack it in the pots about 2 inches deep so my guy can't really see it as well. What supplements are you dusting feeders with and what is your schedule?
He should be ok just keep an eye on him to make sure he is still passing stool as normal.
I used big long rocks around the outside then smaller but way big enough so he can’t eat them, inside the plant where the stems grow. For supps I’m using multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and D3 cal once every 2 weeks. Regular calcium almost every feeding

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 69
So supplements and schedule is good. The dirt looks fine. I will tell you my secret, I used a piece of vinyl (not metal) window screening between my dirt and rock layer. After 5 months it has not broken down and I have no issue with mold or anything. :) It allows water to drain through and even the dirt that Beman may see he can't get to so after about a month he stopped trying.

So supplements and schedule is good. The dirt looks fine. I will tell you my secret, I used a piece of vinyl (not metal) window screening between my dirt and rock layer. After 5 months it has not broken down and I have no issue with mold or anything. :) It allows water to drain through and even the dirt that Beman may see he can't get to so after about a month he stopped trying.
Oh wow. That’s actually a good idea. I just got done cleaning his enclosure a couple min ago and again I caught him trying to eat the tiniest piece of dirt on the floor! Little brat. I put my hand in to wipe it up and he gave me a quick puff of his nose and climbed away. No more dirt anywhere on the floor. Sometimes I think he needs a baby-camera..

Oh wow. That’s actually a good idea. I just got done cleaning his enclosure a couple min ago and again I caught him trying to eat the tiniest piece of dirt on the floor! Little brat. I put my hand in to wipe it up and he gave me a quick puff of his nose and climbed away. No more dirt anywhere on the floor. Sometimes I think he needs a baby-camera..
LOL well thank you I came up with it on my own after being frustrated with Beman still going after dirt even with rocks on it. They are sneaky little turds.

LOL well thank you I came up with it on my own after being frustrated with Beman still going after dirt even with rocks on it. They are sneaky little turds.
I’ve got a whole roll of screening out in my shed. How did you cut it so it goes over all the dirt?

I’ve got a whole roll of screening out in my shed. How did you cut it so it goes over all the dirt?
Just make sure it is not the metal kind... In case it does rust or anything. I cut a circle just larger then the top of the pot. Then I cut like an X in the center and cut up one side of the X to slide it around the dirt. I pushed it flat and then trimmed the outside edge off so he could not get to it. Then laid in the rocks so it was all covered up. Just cut it however to fit the plant. :)

Just make sure it is not the metal kind... In case it does rust or anything. I cut a circle just larger then the top of the pot. Then I cut like an X in the center and cut up one side of the X to slide it around the dirt. I pushed it flat and then trimmed the outside edge off so he could not get to it. Then laid in the rocks so it was all covered up. Just cut it however to fit the plant. :)
Will do. Thanks so much

So I caught him eating dirt AGAIN!! I’ve decided to take the whole plant out(it was the same plant). I’m disappointed...

Back
Top Bottom