Catching house flies?

I have a really good idea for catching house flies from outside. Is it safe for a chameleon to be eating the house flies from outside? My mom doesn't want to buy blue bottles, so is this recommended?

I feed wild insects if I can catch them. I also put in branches that I might (or might not) rinse off with a hose.

Flies are not easy to catch! They have fabulous vision to avoid being caught. My vet gave me a tip on how I could catch flies--mist the air with a spray bottle. She said the mist droplets reflected the light and they couldn't see movement, confusing them and making them easier to catch. I haven't tried it yet as I gave up and bought some fly larvae.

As far as the safety of feeding wild insects, my vet gave me tips to catch them so she's good with it. The one risk of feeding flies is botulism, but I don't know if that is just the larvae or from the fly as well. I've heard of chicken people having the odd problem with botulism who will hang a dead animal for flies to lay eggs on and feed the larvae to the chickens.

I've found my chameleons' feeding and hunting responses are highest for flies and flying insects. Flies are a natural part of their diet.

I've read in the past (on these forums) that wild house flies carry too many diseases. I personally would not feed wild flies. Still, chams do love them and they are great stimulation. Would your mom consider black soldier flies? They look a lot scarier in fly form, but are completely harmless and cannot bite or sting.

I've read in the past (on these forums) that wild house flies carry too many diseases. I personally would not feed wild flies. Still, chams do love them and they are great stimulation. Would your mom consider black soldier flies? They look a lot scarier in fly form, but are completely harmless and cannot bite or sting.

I see that they are only in larvae form. What do they eat?

I feed the black soldier fly larve with fruit and vegetable scraps.

If everyone else thinks it's ok to feed wild flies then go for it. I personally won't take the risk, but maybe it's not as bad as I thought. If you do feed your cham wild bugs, more frequent fecal checks are recommended.

You can buy cultured bluebottle and houseflies. Hunting flying prey is a fantastic way to give your cham some happiness and eye-tongue exercise. And, they tend to cluster up by the lights. Culture your own! I used to get them from Grubco, but I think there are other vendors out there. That way you'll know what they are eating.

Hey Drago,
I've been feeding wild caught flys for years with no issues. I'd like to know your idea for catching natural /wild flys! Feeders are expensive ,every little bit helps.
Dave

Hi Dave, I had an idea for just leaving a bottle with just some turkey and fruit so the flies would just fly in the bottle and then I would just give them to my panther. I'm getting very mixed opinions, so I'll just go with wild.

You can buy cultured bluebottle and houseflies. Hunting flying prey is a fantastic way to give your cham some happiness and eye-tongue exercise. And, they tend to cluster up by the lights. Culture your own! I used to get them from Grubco, but I think there are other vendors out there. That way you'll know what they are eating.
Were can I buy house flys online?

Back
Top Bottom