catapillar I.D. is it safe?

fastford9999

0823152040a.jpg
I caught this from Northern Michigan is it safe for my panther to eat?

Well It Turns Into A spurge hawkmoth. Still don't know if it's chameleon safe. I bring range back 10 grasshoppers everytime I go up north he loves them!

I think your pretty safe if they're smooth. My guy loves them. I won feed any that have hairs or spines in them

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/spurge_hawk_moth_found_in_michigan

tells about this introduced European moth in northern Michigan

Some sources discuss how the caterpillars are poisonous but to what is probably untested. Some keepers report how hornworms are poisonous due to the caterpillars eating plants belonging to the nightshade family, but I've also read of others that have fed their chameleons WC hornworms (without knowing the potential danger) that didn't cause any apparent harm. Lightning bugs are reported to be poisonous to herps, but before I read about their toxicity, when I was a kid, I used to feed lightning bugs to young bullfrogs and green frogs that I kept. Right after they ate them, their bellies would blink for a while as I could easily see the light through their skin. Interestingly, those lighting bugs never caused harm to the frogs. However, I don't think many keepers would care to experiment with their chameleons as to whether or not an untested insect would be toxic to their chameleons. Anything, including water, is toxic in the right amount. If you decide to take the risk, something I don't recommend you do, let us know how it goes. Many toxic insects are simply bad tasting and will be spit out and not tried again.

The food source for this caterpillar is considered toxic at high levels of ingestion. The bright colors are also a good indicator to stay away.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom