Catalog of the Family Chamaeleonidae…

WOW! Thanks
Just curious when an invasive species is recognized as local... Any guesses or never. I think Veileds, Panthers , Jacksons are in the U.S. to stay (in the wild). JMO I have no clue if there are invasive species outside of the U.S.---

WOW! Thanks
Just curious when an invasive species is recognized as local... Any guesses or never. I think Veileds, Panthers , Jacksons are in the U.S. to stay (in the wild). JMO I have no clue if there are invasive species outside of the U.S.---
I don’t know if any species that have been transported to other countries ever become anything but invasive.

There are lots of invasive species in many countries…but I don’t know if it includes chameleons.

Just a note. This article is a neat article. However there are more than one picture that does not match up with a accurate chameleon profile. The Calumma capuroni profile has a picture of a female Calumma parsonii parsonii. There are others too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

After another review of the article the following pictures are not paired up with the proper profile.

Calumma capuroni
Calumma crypticum
Calumma hafahafa
Calumma nasutum

Furcifer campani

Kinyongia magomberae

Trioceros marsabitensis

There are a couple more profiles of the dwarf species that may not have the proper profile pictures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Agree, unfortunately, no accurate information, at least as much as I can say for the Malagasy species.

Calumma boettgeri has a picture of Calumma linotum... and many distribution data are simply wrong. For example, Calumma oshaughnessyi has "northern Madagascar" as distribution, but it occurs in the highlands. Or Calumma nasutum has "northern and eastern Madagascar; Nosy Bé, Nosy Komba, Nosy Mangabe, Nosy Boraha" - just nope, not even one of these areas is actually correct, it's Andasibe region in the eastern highlands. Calumma parsonii has "lowlands near Ambanja" as one of several distribution areas, which is rather funny. There are not even large Calumma species in Sambirano region that you could even remotely confuse with a Parson's. And these are just a few mistakes that I noticed when quickly scrolling through.

P.S.: There's a valid taxonomic checklist of chameleons done by Frank Glaw in 2015: https://www.senckenberg.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/01_vertebrate_zoology_65-2_glaw_167-246.pdf It's only missing the few new species described in the last eight years, so it's probably the latest accurate checklist on chameleon species worldwide.

Agree, unfortunately, no accurate information, at least as much as I can say for the Malagasy species.

Calumma boettgeri has a picture of Calumma linotum... and many distribution data are simply wrong. For example, Calumma oshaughnessyi has "northern Madagascar" as distribution, but it occurs in the highlands. Or Calumma nasutum has "northern and eastern Madagascar; Nosy Bé, Nosy Komba, Nosy Mangabe, Nosy Boraha" - just nope, not even one of these areas is actually correct, it's Andasibe region in the eastern highlands. Calumma parsonii has "lowlands near Ambanja" as one of several distribution areas, which is rather funny. There are not even large Calumma species in Sambirano region that you could even remotely confuse with a Parson's. And these are just a few mistakes that I noticed when quickly scrolling through.

P.S.: There's a valid taxonomic checklist of chameleons done by Frank Glaw in 2015: https://www.senckenberg.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/01_vertebrate_zoology_65-2_glaw_167-246.pdf It's only missing the few new species described in the last eight years, so it's probably the latest accurate checklist on chameleon species worldwide.

X2

This document is a neat document/idea. However requires much editing.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This family tree catalog got me thinking about what goes on in people's lives. Animals don't have the ability to abort, I saw an interesting work by a student here https://edubirdie.com/examples/abortion/ that described the possible consequences if abortion is available to animals. He considered abortion in terms of ethics and morality. It was a very strange article, but in some places even significant from a scientific point of view. It's great that students are now thinking about such important things, so feel free to write articles about it. There is great hope for a brighter future.

Agree. But I appreciate the efforts of the author, the catalog will be great when it is finalized.

There are actually documentation of Calumma species that are listed that were accurate that are not accurate anymore or have to be updated. There was a historical documentation of Calumma parsonii parsonii in the Ambanja region. However that species range may not be accurate anymore. Calumma parsonii parsonii may not persist and living in that Ambaja region today. Calumma oshaughnessyi is listed as occuring in the Ranomafana region. However I have seen pictures of the species in the northern Makira region. That is northern Madagascar. This is a link to the thread about that picture documentation. However the picture link is old and not showing the Calumma oshaughnessyi picture from the region anymore.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...adagascar-nature-preserve.90786/#post-1098386

This neat document requires editing.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I think this document about the family Chamaeleonidae should be edited and completed. I think one document about all the species from the Chamaeleonidae family is a great document to have on hand.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Hi everyone,

I've been following the discussion about the catalog and the need for accurate information, and I couldn't agree more. It's crucial that we have reliable resources, especially when it comes to the distribution and identification of species like the Chamaeleonidae. The mix-up with Calumma and Furcifer species profiles is a reminder of how dynamic and ever-changing our understanding of these creatures is, especially with new research and findings.

Regarding invasive species, it's a complex issue. While some chameleons have established populations outside their native range, it's always a balance between appreciating their adaptability and mitigating potential ecological impacts. It's fascinating yet concerning to see species like the Veiled and Panther chameleons thriving in non-native habitats.

As for the catalog, I believe it's a work in progress that can only get better with contributions from knowledgeable enthusiasts and experts. It's a testament to the passion and dedication within the chameleon community. I'm looking forward to seeing the updated version, and I hope it will serve as a valuable reference for both hobbyists and professionals alike.

Back
Top Bottom