Carpet sleeping during the day

Here are a few pictures of him after his shower. Look at his belly, it is huge.. Is there anyway this guy could be a girl? I found him at the bottom of the cage the other day so it would make a ton of sense...

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 123
I am NOWHERE near an expert but some context clues hit me... If he turned his natural colors and perked up when he was outside could it be that he is just not well supplemented?? If a boost in D3 absorbed by natural sun caused him to perk he could just be under supplemented and/or dehydrated as my panther had a drinking issue of his own (Only drinks drops as they fall... refuses mist AND water droplets on leaves) But that is just my theory... But like I said I am nowhere near an expert I just hate to see chams in pain :(

I am NOWHERE near an expert but some context clues hit me... If he turned his natural colors and perked up when he was outside could it be that he is just not well supplemented?? If a boost in D3 absorbed by natural sun caused him to perk he could just be under supplemented and/or dehydrated as my panther had a drinking issue of his own (Only drinks drops as they fall... refuses mist AND water droplets on leaves) But that is just my theory... But like I said I am nowhere near an expert I just hate to see chams in pain :(

Thank you for the response. I gave him a shower and saw those colors I haven't seen since the first day I got him. He WILL not drink. In the shower he just closes his eyes and sits there. I saw him cleaning out his eyes. Can I ask how you get your chameleon to drink? Bare in mind he thinks im the antichrist so he will not drink in front of me.

I would say thats a girl. Would also recommend a laying bin asap. My pic is the pic of my male. Nowhere near those colours. My female was like that.

I got mine to drink by building a water irrigation system in his enclosure that I can change at any time to fit any kind of drinking habits he shows... At this moment I have two dripper heads set on .5GPH which gives him two spots where he literally attacks the drops as if they are bugs... But at first I had a micro sprinkler head that sprayed 360 degrees set on 15GPH (about half power) so that it mimicked rain... Now he'll drink any and all EXCEPT mist... He runs away unless its luke warn, then he'll drink but only the drops on his head lol

anyone else with suggestions? I also would like to know how I can do a fecal sample tomorrow. Do I bring some in or is this something they can do at the vet? Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

The colors after the shower do look more like a female. Until you know for sure, you should provide a laying bin, just in case.

You usually collect the poop and take it to the vets. The fresher the better. Many people say their chams provide fresher samples en route or on the examining table, but it's probably best to bring some just in case.

As for getting him/her to drink...if a dripper hasn't helped, then you might try getting a needleless syringe and dripping it right onto the chameleon's nose.

Is the poop still looking black and white? Because if that's the case, drinking is almost certainly happening. That white is the "urate" and if it's creamy or white it means there's good hydration. If it's yellow or orange, it means your chameleon is dehydrated.

I thought the eyes looked sunken in the first picture. However, sunken eyes do not necessarily mean dehydration. The eye are a general "tell all" for chameleons. Just like droopy eyes on my daughter means she has a fever or squinchy eyes on my husband means he has a headache.

The colors after the shower do look more like a female. Until you know for sure, you should provide a laying bin, just in case.

You usually collect the poop and take it to the vets. The fresher the better. Many people say their chams provide fresher samples en route or on the examining table, but it's probably best to bring some just in case.

As for getting him/her to drink...if a dripper hasn't helped, then you might try getting a needleless syringe and dripping it right onto the chameleon's nose.

Is the poop still looking black and white? Because if that's the case, drinking is almost certainly happening. That white is the "urate" and if it's creamy or white it means there's good hydration. If it's yellow or orange, it means your chameleon is dehydrated.

I thought the eyes looked sunken in the first picture. However, sunken eyes do not necessarily mean dehydration. The eye are a general "tell all" for chameleons. Just like droopy eyes on my daughter means she has a fever or squinchy eyes on my husband means he has a headache.

His poop is perfectly black and white so I am very interested in what the vet will say. I have a laying bin in there now just incase. I'm wont be able to sleep at all tonight because I am so worried.

Hey guys!

Just got back from the vet. Here are the notes:

"Overall Kevin looks great today. I did not find any obvious problems on his exam. Chameleons are very sensitive as you know, so something in his cage may be the issue (too cool, etc). I would suggest you move to a fully screened enclosure and try different methods of misting and setting up a dripper to try and find one he likes. He may have been very dehydrated since he improved so much in the shower so if he is still avoiding it I'd put him in the shower like you did the other day maybe every 2-3 days or so. I also recommend you bring a fresh fecal sample by the office at your earliest convenience to be checked for parasites. Please keep us updated on his progress and let us know if you find something that works. Thanks for bringing him in today, it was nice to meet you!"

We spoke for about an hour/hour and a half and there was nothing obvious Dr. Leonatti could find. She asked a million questions and assured me that everything I was doing is exactly how it should be done so we were all just a little confused about why he is sleeping during the day.

I told her that the shower perked him up and now that I am taking him outside he has become more active.

I told her that I wanted to switch to a complete screen enclosure and she thought that was a great idea. Also I have decided to up his d3 once a week. Like I said before, I am feeding the crickets a more rounded diet of greens and sweet potatoes/carrots so that should improve his situation. I am also going to work on misting techniques that I have seen on this board. Spraying the mistking up towards tuberware to simulate rain.

His weight today was 9.80 grams and they said he was a good weight. They also decided his tail base was that of a male after several back and forth with sexing.

I'm just real glad that there was nothing fatally wrong with him! I still have to do a fecal but that is merely precautionary due to the fact nothing indicates he would have them (CB, Goatloaded crickets, no outside insects, etc.)

So first thing is first. Someone help me find a good screened enclosure!

Good news, I'm glad everything went alright. I personally like DIYCages, great cages and the 18x18x36 which should work well for your guy is only $63 shipped.

Hey guys, wanted to update.

He is getting worse. He barely has a grip and falls asleep in my hands. I have another vet appointment tomorrow and we are going to force feed him and start him on antibiotics. I gave him another shower which perked him up but that usually lasts only 15 minutes then he goes right back to sleeping. I am waiting on my all screen cage which should be here this friday but until then, I moved him beside the window to let air and sun get in.

I added a homemade dripper which is awesome.

I have one concern. Will the antibiotics stress him out? We can't do a fecal because he stopped eating and the vet said he is too small to do bloodwork. I found a worm in his cage and thought it could have been a parasite but it was an earthworm. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED.

thank you guys

Hey guys, wanted to update.

He is getting worse. He barely has a grip and falls asleep in my hands. I have another vet appointment tomorrow and we are going to force feed him and start him on antibiotics. I gave him another shower which perked him up but that usually lasts only 15 minutes then he goes right back to sleeping. I am waiting on my all screen cage which should be here this friday but until then, I moved him beside the window to let air and sun get in.

I added a homemade dripper which is awesome.

I have one concern. Will the antibiotics stress him out? We can't do a fecal because he stopped eating and the vet said he is too small to do bloodwork. I found a worm in his cage and thought it could have been a parasite but it was an earthworm. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED.

thank you guys

What's the antibiotic for? It's going to be a stressor for "him". When you say "perked up" during showers, outside, etc. that isn't necessarily a good sign. He's being handled, moved, exposed to quite different stimuli at those times, so it is natural for him to react; those things are irritants. Then, once he can relax he goes back to his sleeping state. I wish I could help more...just trying to suggest additional thoughts for you. I also wonder whether you have a female.

The vet confirmed it was a male. Based on the tail base and they did felt for eggs. When I showed a pic of him when I got him they said he was definitely male.

Hey guys, Just wanted to let yall know Kevin passed away.

I went to check on him and he was at the bottom with his tongue hanging out. I knew instantly. This is real hard to write because I have no idea what I did wrong. I spent months of researching before I every got him home. It took me over a month to finalize his cage before he got in it. I'm still in shock because I thought I did everything just right. I dont know what else to say.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow and am thinking I should still go so they can tell me anything. Maybe it was parasite. Maybe something else that I couldn't prevent. Maybe it was something I did. I have no idea. All I know is I'm going to take a break from chameleons.

I've had a million questions that many posters on here helped me with and for that I thank you.

Kevin was a cool guy and I never thought I could love something so small so much. The little guy hated me whenever I walked in the room but for some reason I couldnt get enough of him. I took a million pictures of him on my phone and camera and will always remember Kevin.

Hey guys, Just wanted to let yall know Kevin passed away.

I went to check on him and he was at the bottom with his tongue hanging out. I knew instantly. This is real hard to write because I have no idea what I did wrong. I spent months of researching before I every got him home. It took me over a month to finalize his cage before he got in it. I'm still in shock because I thought I did everything just right. I dont know what else to say.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow and am thinking I should still go so they can tell me anything. Maybe it was parasite. Maybe something else that I couldn't prevent. Maybe it was something I did. I have no idea. All I know is I'm going to take a break from chameleons.

I've had a million questions that many posters on here helped me with and for that I thank you.

Kevin was a cool guy and I never thought I could love something so small so much. The little guy hated me whenever I walked in the room but for some reason I couldnt get enough of him. I took a million pictures of him on my phone and camera and will always remember Kevin.

sorry to hear that if it were me i would take him to the vet so they could see what it was for the next one you get if you decide to.... once again sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom