Carpet Chameleons (Fulcifer)

Shinybeetles

Hi, I posted this elsewhere but I think it's no very visible so here it is here instead. I'm very keen on carpets, there's a CB female for sale in a shop near where I live and I know someone else that keeps Major's but I don't know if the shop female is Major or Minor....?! Anyway, that's a separate problem..

I have a large viv set up ready, I am interested to know:

1) can you use a waterfall alone in the viv (as I do with my yems) and only spray occassionally...if at all? I have been to Madagascar, was there for 6 months and I saw many of this species (common as hell). In the dry season (6 months worth) in the south it wasn't really that humid, hot but not humid, so I am wondering why they should be sprayed 4 times per day..through the whole year?

2) Also do you need an incubator or can you keep the eggs at room temp - the same way as yemen eggs?

3) at what age do the young have to be separated?

Anyway, your experience and advice of keeping them in captivity will be greater so I bow to that and hope to hear from anyone who's interested!

Yes they both drink from them, I've had my eldest with the waterfall for 9 months, but a big breeder here in the UK uses 100s! What's the problem?

Since nobody is truly answering your questions, I'll give it a shot. First off, I think you are a little confused about the latin names for the chameleon you are looking at.

Furcifer lateralis lateralis is a proper latin name for a nominate species called the Carpet Chameleon. This is the one you probably saw all over Madagascar as their range is quite large. They are a brightly coloured species and reach and average about 8inches.

Female Furcifer lateralis lateralis (Photo courtesy of AdCham)

FurciferLateralisTananariveF3.j

Furcifer lateralis major is a name for a smaller population of Giant Carpet Chameleons in the located in southwest coast Madagascar only. They are a little more drab and reach approximately 12-14 inches.

This is a F2 Furcifer lateralis major I produced:

DSC_004820071226.jpg

Furcifer minor is a completely different species coming from central Madagascar and are not generally found in the pet trade.They have not been exported from the country in many years. That said, there are a few genuine CB animals being kept and produced in Europe, but I highly doubt that is what you are seeing in a pet shop as they are highly sought after.

Gravid female Furcifer minor (Photo courtest of AdCham)

FurciferMinorGravidF1.JPG

I have not worked with the nominate lateralis lateralis so I can not comment on their care, but I have produced the lateralis major to the F2 generation in captivity.

I did have a dry season in my chameleon room in which the humidity dropped to approx. 60-70% for a few months during the summer. (I normally kept my room at 80-100% humidity). I kept the same misting regimen though year round. Humidity and spraying are two vastly different things to a chameleon! Spraying 4 times a day seems a bit much to me.

My major eggs were kept in closets and cabinets in various parts of the house and I used seasonal temperature fluactuations to my advantage. I do not believe in incubators for chameleon eggs.

I separated my babies at about the 2 month mark.

I hope this helps in some ways.
Cheers!
Trace

I have a female Lateralis Carpet and I LOVE her!! She's wildcaught (nobody around here breeds them) and seems to be acclimating well. :)I know that this doesn't answer your questions, but really, I am looking for info as well so I am piggybacking on your thread if that's ok. Please post pics if you get it!!!

Since nobody is truly answering your questions, I'll give it a shot. First off, I think you are a little confused about the latin names for the chameleon you are looking at.

Furcifer lateralis lateralis is a proper latin name for a nominate species called the Carpet Chameleon. This is the one you probably saw all over Madagascar as their range is quite large. They are a brightly coloured species and reach and average about 8inches.

Female Furcifer lateralis lateralis (Photo courtesy of AdCham)

FurciferLateralisTananariveF3.j

Furcifer lateralis major is a name for a smaller population of Giant Carpet Chameleons in the located in southwest coast Madagascar only. They are a little more drab and reach approximately 12-14 inches.

This is a F2 Furcifer lateralis major I produced:

DSC_004820071226.jpg

Furcifer minor is a completely different species coming from central Madagascar and are not generally found in the pet trade.They have not been exported from the country in many years. That said, there are a few genuine CB animals being kept and produced in Europe, but I highly doubt that is what you are seeing in a pet shop as they are highly sought after.

Gravid female Furcifer minor (Photo courtest of AdCham)

FurciferMinorGravidF1.JPG

I have not worked with the nominate lateralis lateralis so I can not comment on their care, but I have produced the lateralis major to the F2 generation in captivity.

I did have a dry season in my chameleon room in which the humidity dropped to approx. 60-70% for a few months during the summer. (I normally kept my room at 80-100% humidity). I kept the same misting regimen though year round. Humidity and spraying are two vastly different things to a chameleon! Spraying 4 times a day seems a bit much to me.

My major eggs were kept in closets and cabinets in various parts of the house and I used seasonal temperature fluactuations to my advantage. I do not believe in incubators for chameleon eggs.

I separated my babies at about the 2 month mark.

I hope this helps in some ways.
Cheers!
Trace

Hey Trace, thank you very much for your information, you are the sort of person that's of real value to sites such as these, one line answers from people doesn't really help, though I'm sure their intentions are good. It's actual information that is being looked for.

I think you must be right about the pet shop having a Fercifer Lat lat.

I was mainly based in the south east of Madagascar so I'm quite sure you are correct about seeing this species there and not the majors. I will get some but I think I will wait a bit longer till I have researched them more and will know exactly what I'm getting.

I keep yemens at the moment, they are doing very well, I have them in a large area with lots of ficus plants and they seem very happy. I've been using 2 waterfalls (one for each) since they were young and so have a number of other people I know, but many of the members here seem to be very against this. A problem I have is that sometimes I have to go somewhere for a few days (most has been 4) and this is when the waterfalls have come in the most useful. I keep the quite clean but of course I'm sure there's still some bacteria. I also like the idea that the chameleon is able to drink as much as she wants. I used to keep her next to a viv with red-eyed tree frogs in that had a waterfall in their tank, she would pace up and down in front of it trying to get to it, even the though I was spraying 2/3 times a day. Should I stop using them and use a dripper?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the compliments Shiny! :D

What were you doing in Madagascar for so long? I know I would enjoy seeing any pics you've got as well!

If you haven't seen already, here's a great article on the lateralis lateralis: http://www.chameleonnews.com/latlat.html

I've never used the waterfall thingies so I would ditch that and get yourself an automatic misting system! You won't regret it. You can set it to mist however many times a day and the systems are perfect for when you do holiday for those few days. You can even add your frog vivs to the system. Put your lights on a timer and everything is automated for you save for the feeding and realistically chameleons don't need to eat every day.

Cheers,
Trace

Last edited:
Ok, you've convinced me! The falls go in the trash:( Shame as they cost £30 ($60 each!!) and I bought 4!

I'll be back shortly for more tips! Thanks people..:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom