Carpet Chameleon?

ElliotG

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’ve been doing looking around and trying to settle for a 3rd chameleon. There’s a carpet cham in my local pet shop.
4F9A9661-D752-43E5-8CE4-69CFF06F2DEA.jpeg

He’s a very beautiful and docile little boy, seems to have a problem with one eye though (keeps it closed, wish I got a pic). Climbed right onto my hand when I asked to take a look (might be from cage conditions though). They said he was captive bred (I don’t know if that’s 100% true.) but I’m just wondering what you guys on the forums think? I don’t see much about people owning these guys. Seeing the conditions he’s in made me feel bad. I’ve also wanted to get a species that isn’t the ‘norm’ (the common ones you tend to see. Nothing bad with them though!) let me know what you guys think.
C9C3FFF0-5E60-4A8F-83E3-E8D0E3BE5F89.jpeg

He's friggin awesome! But that eye?? Its on you. I'd research what the eye condition could be. Then decide from there

I'd first make sure you know the husbandry and can provide the proper caging and conditions before getting him, as not a lot of people on here keep them (or are active anymore). I'd also make sure he is actually a he, and if he is a she, that you can provide the conditions she needs to successfully pass eggs. If you do get him, take him to an experienced chameleon vet to check out his eye and test for parasites. If you do get him, it'd be awesome to see, but don't buy him just to have and not be able to care for him properly. Keep us updated!

I'd first make sure you know the husbandry and can provide the proper caging and conditions before getting him, as not a lot of people on here keep them (or are active anymore). I'd also make sure he is actually a he, and if he is a she, that you can provide the conditions she needs to successfully pass eggs. If you do get him, take him to an experienced chameleon vet to check out his eye and test for parasites. If you do get him, it'd be awesome to see, but don't buy him just to have and not be able to care for him properly. Keep us updated!
I’ll definitely be doing research before getting him! Just was wondering if there was a reason a lot of the members don’t keep them. Will def get decals and him checked out if I do get it. I’m sure it’s a male, it seems to have male colors but I’ll look into that too. I’ll keep you all posted!

I’ll definitely be doing research before getting him! Just was wondering if there was a reason a lot of the members don’t keep them. Will def get decals and him checked out if I do get it. I’m sure it’s a male, it seems to have male colors but I’ll look into that too. I’ll keep you all posted!
Go for it! People don't keep carpets as often because they are difficult to keep WC from my understanding... if I remember right... and they naturally have very short lifespans.

I can almost guarantee that this carpet chameleon is WC. Hardly any people keep these because no one has really taken the time to establish them in captivity. Though that is changing thanks to people like Frank Payne and a few of his friends. Anyone who has purchased a CB offspring from those mentioned above would not be selling offspring at a pet store. Plus, lots of imports from Madagascar have come in recently. It wasn't too long ago that another person (here on the forums) got a "CB" carpet that later turned out to be a WC.

I do agree that this is an adult male carpet chameleon. They do live relatively short lives compared to other species, and with it being WC, he may only have one to three years left.

Carpet chameleons are really cool, and if you have the ability to get the eye treated at a reputable vet, then he should be amazing to keep. If you are into him, I'd say go for it. Just make sure to send us a lot of pics so we can ogle over him!

Go into this purchase thinking as if he is a WC and you should do just fine.

I was going to get a carpet a while back. They seem to do best in bioactive/plant vivs. I believe Frank Payne uses glass, but I may be remembering wrong. I think for WC, the best thing you can do is replicate their natural habitat(outside of Quarantine, hospital cages) to make them feel more comfortable.

What a little beauty! If I were you, I’d already have him/her, have a vet appointment set up and have taken a crash course in ideal husbandry. I’m quite impulsive though, so don’t listen to me. But here’s care info from Frank Payne. https://8fc37e8c-7d36-4d88-acfd-1b5...d/2b35ad_1cd67d548eee474a92e89683340f14d0.pdf
From his website https://www.livingartbyfrankpayne.com/care-sheets
Frank Payne wrote the Info. & Care article for Reptiles Mag.
I didn't see his website in my cursory search—good catch!

Doing a bit of research and Frank seems to recommend a glass exoterra that’s bioactive. Hold moisture and heat well. I have a screen cage holding a baby veiled right now but I plan on upgrading him here soon. What I’m thinking is getting my veiled upgraded here in a week or two and then modifying the screen cage. Covering 3/4 of it, and getting some plants established in it and decorating it. I have a bin I can use as a hospital for a bit as I get it checked out and parasite tested. I have extra lights from my leopard geckos I don’t use anymore ready so all I would need is UVB and a mister. I’m thinking of buying a Thrive brand automatic mister (I’ll do more research into it.) since they’re cheap but also small. I have a big mister for my two veiled boys. Just seems economical to have a small mister instead of buying another big one.

I’ll definitely have money to get it checked out by a vet. I will be getting one of my veils checked out though because I got him with a bent casque, I just want to make sure that MBD isn’t a problem for him now. He also lived 3 years without a heat lamp or UVB so I think a check up is needed lol. With that being said, it might be a bit before I get the carpet cham (if I do I’m still making decisions!!). I will definitely take him to a vet though (if I get him!!)

He’s so damn cute and sweet. I keep looking at the pictures I took of him.. what’ve I gotten myself into o_O

Back
Top Bottom