Carpet Chameleon

Cameron B

Established Member
Hey all,
Took my male lateralis outside today and let him have at the tree for a while. He got some pretty cool colorations going today. It amazes me how many different patterns and colors these animals can do, but I hadn't seen this one yet...

2596186680_09e9d4194c_o.jpg

Hey all,
Took my male lateralis outside today and let him have at the tree for a while. He got some pretty cool colorations going today. It amazes me how many different patterns and colors these animals can do, but I hadn't seen this one yet...

Very pretty carpet indeed. Knowing how hot it must be in the valley up there, I just wanted to make sure you know very light or blanched colors and the gaping mouth can indicate heat stress. Just something to keep in mind since you hadn't seen that color and pattern before.

Hey, Kent,
I'm aware of that. He was put out when it was in the cooler morning sun and was only gaping at me for getting close...he tends to like his space when he gets outdoors. I've seen him when he gets hot. The colorations are quite different...I think I have some pics of that lingering around here somewhere.

Thanks for the comment, though! He is pretty cool lookin'. :)

Cool, good to hear. It would be interesting to see pics of his different color phases if you get a chance. I've seen some really neat looking males from the lighter colored populations recently.

Kent,
Looking through my photos now. I've found some from the female on the same day when they both were getting fairly warm outside. I had them out so I could do some cage cleaning, but misted them pretty heavily at times to compensate some and keep some good hydration going. It's interesting to note that the female went to darker colorations rather than lighter like you suggest. I also remember the male turning to a darker brown coloration...almost to the point where you could see any patterning. It's not something I want to try and impose on them, and it's nearly 100 degrees outside right now, so it's really not wise to "test" it right now for some fresh pics either.

I have tons of photos here...will keep searching through! Question...you said you have seen some lighter colored males recently? I am assuming you are speaking of Carpets...any photos of these?

Lastly, while going through these photos I've found some pretty cool patterns on the female. I don't think I've ever seen such a wide ranged palette before, but that's just me I suppose!

Sorry, I don't really have much for pics other than watching the online retailer's sites and noticing what would appear to be different localities or morphs being imported over the last 6 months or so. Kingsnake ads, LLL, Reptile Depot, etc. I've always thought the species is so wide-ranging that defineable locality-types are probably possible, which could make carpets just as "collectable" as pardalis. Someone just needs to compile a reference web site...

Wow that man sore for sure is looking great. IDK how you ever caught him in that pattern. Great photograph Cam :D Can't wait too see some more of the different suits that he wears:D

Ok cool but I dont think people bring wild caught panthers and carpets here in SA,
So I found 1 person in our hole contry that sells Carpets, CBB.
He also sells jacksons panthers Veileds and if the eggs hatch he will be like the first person in SA to succesfully breed fischers!
And prices for chameleons are realy expensive most baby Veileds go for R600-R800 adults R2000-R5000 babies and adults are realy expensive, but Panthers are R2500 each, Carpets are also prolly expensive but not as much as the panthers and soon to be fischers chams.

Back
Top Bottom