Carpet chameleon / exo terra 18x18x24

DirtMcGirt

Hi everyone!

I'm curious if a female carpet Cham can live in a 18x18x24 comfortably?
Everyones opinions and knowledge are appreciated :)

N8

According to a very knowledgeable breeder that works with carpets (definitely not me), yes. But depending on your indoor temps it may be difficult to keep temps down in a suitable range for carpets. They like cooler temps in the 70s and 80s and the glass cages tend to retain heat really well. Mine has a UVB tube because they hardly put out any heat at all, but he cage was very dim with just that so I also added a CFL for more light. In the winter it was great because she had a great basking spot and the glass kept the rest of the cage actually cooler (because it was so cold outside the cage), but now her basking spot is much smaller so it doesn't just fill the cage with heat. And they like lots of water so drainage may be a problem since it's glass. But it can be done. :)

I was thinking that maybe the heat from a repti glo 5.0 cfl would be sufficient
I live in arizona so my home is always very cool.
The terrarium would also be fully planted to help with humidity and drainage
I also read that the newer repti glo 5.0 cfl is a safe UVB
Has anyone used it?
They are beautiful little Chams. Does anyone know how big a female will get?

So ferret what kind of enclosure are you using?
Any chance you can show us some pics of your enclosure.
I think a lot of members around here are interested in carpet chams.
Plus the Eco terras are super cool and popular.

The reptiglo CFLs are not associated with eye problems like the reptisuns are/have been so they are safe.

Here's a great intro article on carpets: http://www.chameleonnews.com/06MayStanford.html

So ferret what kind of enclosure are you using?
Any chance you can show us some pics of your enclosure.
I think a lot of members around here are interested in carpet chams.
Plus the Eco terras are super cool and popular.

My little carpet girl is in an 18x18x18 exo terra that is planted. She's still young and this is my first experience with this species but so far everything is working well for me. I got her in early January of this year so I am by no means an expert. But I've done my homework. ;) Temps are a little bit of challenge now that it's getting so warm here (90s) because the sun hits the room she's in directly for the first half of the day. Right now I've found the balance, but later in the summer I may have to move it if my a/c can't keep up well enough. I don't have any pics of her setup but I'll take some when I get home later.

Last edited:
I kept the smaller species of carpet chams. lateralis lateralis, I kept them in the LLL screen cages 16" x 30" model. I misted and used a dripper at times. They love water at least mine did. They drank at every misting for me. I had my cages pretty well planted with schefflerra. Mine loved blue bottle flies. I sold my pair to make room for more pardalis/nosy falys. So I no longer keep them. If you want the go to guy on the forums for carpets. Contact Dooley1/Kevin Stanford. I got my pair from him and he's the carpet master.

Back
Top Bottom