Carpet chameleon breeding questions?

I have 2 cb carpet chameleons that ive raised since they were both hatchlings and now im trying to breed them. I introduce the pair about a month ago and they did the typical head bobs and eventually her mounted her. She turned her gravid colors soon after that and they have been seperated ever since. However, as of recently my females colors have been changing from her dark gravid back to her green resting colors. If i try to introduce the pair again she immediately becomes unreceptive. She has been showing her gravid coloration less and less as or recently and im wondering if thats normal? Is she infact gravid or does the color variation mean differently. Ive attached pictures of her gravid and of how she has been looking recently.

Attachments

• 20180503_094455.jpg
    20180503_094455.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 20180424_152445.jpg
    20180424_152445.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 207
Thanks for the input i never really got a straight answer for that question. However, she turned back to her receptive colors a couple weeks ago without ever laying any eggs unfortunately. Since then i have reintroduced the pair and this time i am positive everything went correctly he climbed right on her and she has been gravid again ever since. Im really hoping for success with breeding these two because they were the first captive bred carpets ive ever came across in Colorado and ive had both of them since they were hatchlings. You wouldnt happen to be kevin stanford by chance would you??

Thanks for the input i never really got a straight answer for that question. However, she turned back to her receptive colors a couple weeks ago without ever laying any eggs unfortunately. Since then i have reintroduced the pair and this time i am positive everything went correctly he climbed right on her and she has been gravid again ever since. Im really hoping for success with breeding these two because they were the first captive bred carpets ive ever came across in Colorado and ive had both of them since they were hatchlings. You wouldnt happen to be kevin stanford by chance would you??
He would happen to be Kevin!

Yep-its me-Kevin Stanford :)

I went out of town last Friday and when i returned Sunday my female laid her first clutch. She had a laying bin in her cage but she just spread her eggs throughout her cage rather than burying them and im worried i didn't get to the eggs in time. Initially most of the eggs looked deflated but after being in a egg bin for a couple days they have started looking better. Can anyone with some experience give me any advice? Do the eggs look viable still or not?
20180608_211436.jpg
20180608_211436.jpg
20180608_211436.jpg
20180608_211436.jpg

I mentioned this might happen in one of your previous threads. That is why it's always good to be at home with a gravid carpet. Many people experience this problem with them and you can only keep trying new things with the laying bin to try make it more appealing to her. Maybe you can find some tips in the chameleon breeders podcasts. There us an episode featuring Carl Cattau covering the topic of egg laying for different species. I've heard people attach heating pads to the laying bin which sometimes helps getting lateralis to lay properly.

As for the eggs. I would think that if any are still deflated they might be dead. Hang on to the eggs unless they are quite obviously dead and going mouldy. Some look alright though.

where did you get ur cham in the profile pic? how old is he? very handsome

I have 2 cb carpet chameleons that ive raised since they were both hatchlings and now im trying to breed them. I introduce the pair about a month ago and they did the typical head bobs and eventually her mounted her. She turned her gravid colors soon after that and they have been seperated ever since. However, as of recently my females colors have been changing from her dark gravid back to her green resting colors. If i try to introduce the pair again she immediately becomes unreceptive. She has been showing her gravid coloration less and less as or recently and im wondering if thats normal? Is she infact gravid or does the color variation mean differently. Ive attached pictures of her gravid and of how she has been looking recently.
awesome. trying to get them in the uk at the moment. almost none available here. trying to start a uk bloodline. keep us updated.

The cham in my profile pic is my 2 year old ambilobe ive had him since he was a hatchling, currently im trying to breed with my female ambilobe but he doesnt really seem interested and ive tried almost everything its a bummer

Back
Top Bottom