Carpet and Pygmy Chameleon breeders

dlaunde

Established Member
Hey all,

So I decided that for my new chameleon adventure, I would like to get a Carpet or Pygmy chameleon, mainly due to using a slightly smaller enclosure due to space issue with my new place. Looking around, however, and it seems carpet or pygmy's are sold out rather quick with the reputable sites. I did find carpet chameleons available from backwaterreptiles, but they are listed as adults so I am thinking they are captive caught and would be a bad choice due to lifespan issues.

Are there any other reputable sites besides the sponsors I should contact? Or any forum members who breed these species to talk to?

Thanks!

Avoid Backwater.
Have you had a chameleon before? The species your interested in have very specific husbandry requirements.

Avoid Backwater.
Have you had a chameleon before? The species your interested in have very specific husbandry requirements.

Thanks, I wasn't getting a good vibe from their site.

I have had a veiled and a panther before. This setup will be from scratch so I can make the enclosure and requirements to whatever is needed.

Thanks, I wasn't getting a good vibe from their site.

I have had a veiled and a panther before. This setup will be from scratch so I can make the enclosure and requirements to whatever is needed.
So I posted above who I would go to if I was interested in Carpet chams. Frank Payne is the leader in breeding them and has links to care info and podcasts he has done with Bill Strand.

So I posted above who I would go to if I was interested in Carpet chams. Frank Payne is the leader in breeding them and has links to care info and podcasts he has done with Bill Strand.

Just saw that and sent him a message. I really appreciate it!

Undergroundreptiles.com
They do have "Captive Bred" pigmys and carpet chams.

And for all people saying they're shady etc etc, I buy from them a lot and never had any issues. Even with the field Collected stuff they sell.
Wild caught its just a little more work to acclimate and treat for parasites.

Undergroundreptiles.com
They do have "Captive Bred" pigmys and carpet chams.

And for all people saying they're shady etc etc, I buy from them a lot and never had any issues. Even with the field Collected stuff they sell.
Wild caught its just a little more work to acclimate and treat for parasites.
Have you ever gotten a wild caught chameleon?

Have you ever gotten a wild caught chameleon?
no, and I didn't advise no one to get one.
However I am telling this forum member that I have good experiences with that place.
I have gotten A wildcaught Mangrove snake, wild caught all kinds of geckos (Not Leopards or Crested)
Wildcaught skinks...

They sell Captive Bred Chameleons there too so.

Never had any issues, all my animals eat good. Their attitude sucks but its not fun if they're not tryna bite you. Except for Caiman Lizards or Tegus, those bites hurt.

no, and I didn't advise no one to get one.
However I am telling this forum member that I have good experiences with that place.
I have gotten A wildcaught Mangrove snake, wild caught all kinds of geckos (Not Leopards or Crested)
Wildcaught skinks...

They sell Captive Bred Chameleons there too so.

Never had any issues, all my animals eat good. Their attitude sucks but its not fun if they're not tryna bite you. Except for Caiman Lizards or Tegus, those bites hurt.
Then I would not tell them it is a little more work... It is a lot more work. They can come in with many different types of parasites and not all are easy to treat for.

Then I would not tell them it is a little more work... It is a lot more work. They can come in with many different types of parasites and not all are easy to treat for.
Both of our statements are opinions. Nor You or I is right.
We can only advice our fellow members and try to give them facts when we can. I simply offered my opinion.
Owning a chameleon it's already lots of work.
I think its not that much extra work, fecal, quarantine, whatever treatment you give him, fecal, done.
takes about 3-4 months. I doubt it's any different that my other reptiles treatment. It's my opinion and everybody has different opinions and experiences.

Both of our statements are opinions. Nor You or I is right.
We can only advice our fellow members and try to give them facts when we can. I simply offered my opinion.
Owning a chameleon it's already lots of work.
I think its not that much extra work, fecal, quarantine, whatever treatment you give him, fecal, done.
takes about 3-4 months. I doubt it's any different that my other reptiles treatment. It's my opinion and everybody has different opinions and experiences.
All I am saying is then you should give full information not pieces of your opinion... Like saying it takes 3-4 months of quarantine, treatment, and vet visits to ensure health. That is information that people should have on how a wild caught differs.

Have you had to treat a chameleon for a parasite issue that was contagious to other chams???? It is not fun. It is not cheap. It does not always have a good outcome.

And I am going to leave this here... I don't care that you have a different opinion. I care that you give it without detail when there is more involved then most keepers would expect.

All I am saying is then you should give full information not pieces of your opinion... Like saying it takes 3-4 months of quarantine, treatment, and vet visits to ensure health. That is information that people should have on how a wild caught differs.

Have you had to treat a chameleon for a parasite issue that was contagious to other chams???? It is not fun. It is not cheap. It does not always have a good outcome.

And I am going to leave this here... I don't care that you have a different opinion. I care that you give it without detail when there is more involved then most keepers would expect.
You know you need a break when you start caring for other opinions. I simply advice him of a place he can get CAPTIVE BRED chameleons, and then gave him a lil piece of my experience why I think it's not terrible a place. CHILL!!!

I think you were expecting me to give a full blow out detailed essay on how to get Wild caught chameleons acclimated and healthy.
Sorry I could not do that, I never had a wild caught chameleon.
He is not a noob, I am sure he knows about vet cost, time and all that. I never said it was cheap, never said it was easy; just not that much extra work.
I am sorry and next time I will write a 7 paragraph, 20,000 word essay about how I treated my rescued beardie from that nasty contagious infection Coccidia, and pinworms.
That being said, his tank mate did not make it.
And how I was able to not get any of my other reptiles infected because I quarantine.

Frank Payne has some of the most gorgeous reptiles! I don’t know how that man can sleep at night. I’d just be sitting there night and day admiring how beautiful they all are.

Back
Top Bottom