Caring for superworms?

When I get them they come in like saw dust. Should I move them to a different container with coconut fiber? And should I feed them? Is so what should I feed them?

When I get them they come in like saw dust. Should I move them to a different container with coconut fiber? And should I feed them? Is so what should I feed them?
I move mine to a different container with plain oatmeal oats, some cricket gutload, and carrots on top for them to munch and get moisture from.

J.,
Welcome to the site. The "saw dust" or bedding is either oat or wheat bran. You can keep them in the original container or transfer them to a bigger tub. I freshen up my oat bran regularly. Carrots are great to sustain them. I gut load them 24 hrs. +/- before feeding to Lucky. I feed him 2-3 worms, 2-3 times per week in addition to his normal rotation of stock feeders. They appear to be a tasty treat for him.

Last edited:
To my knowledge it's preferable to keep superworms in bran as it provides them a ready source of food. You can get oat/wheat bran at pretty much any grocery store in the baking aisle, though depending on how much you use it may be cheaper to go to a bulk food store or order it online.

I've had good success keeping supers in a mixture of bran and ground up chicken feed (layer pellets) with slices of apple/carrot/potato for moisture. I have a ready supply of layer pellets, so I figure I may as well use them! I have a separate container to gutload them with the good stuff 24-48 hours or so prior to feeding them off.

To my knowledge it's preferable to keep superworms in bran as it provides them a ready source of food. You can get oat/wheat bran at pretty much any grocery store in the baking aisle, though depending on how much you use it may be cheaper to go to a bulk food store or order it online.

I've had good success keeping supers in a mixture of bran and ground up chicken feed (layer pellets) with slices of apple/carrot/potato for moisture. I have a ready supply of layer pellets, so I figure I may as well use them! I have a separate container to gutload them with the good stuff 24-48 hours or so prior to feeding them off.
Amazing thank you!!

Bran binds calcium I wouldn't use it. I put my superworms in coco fiber and feed them what I feed my roaches(organic veggies, some fruit, and high quality dry gutloads like bug buffet and others).

Very interesting! Would you happen to have a source handy for that info on bran? I'd like to read about it so I can improve my practices. :)

Google 'bran inhibits calcium absorption'. John courtney smith goes into it on cham breeder podcast as well. If you're only feeding a couple once and awhile I'm sure it's not that big a deal, but the concern is when it's used the staple food for feeders.

Google 'bran inhibits calcium absorption'. John courtney smith goes into it on cham breeder podcast as well. If you're only feeding a couple once and awhile I'm sure it's not that big a deal, but the concern is when it's used the staple food for feeders.

I'll have to take a look at that, thank you! I feel like I've read similar reports before and came to the conclusion that as long as the worms were separated out and gutloaded 24-48 hours prior to feeding, the effects on calcium absorption are negligible. I'll do some more reading on the matter! :unsure::coffee:

Edit: Oh - did you mean "staple food for breeders", as in breeding colonies of supers?? I'm sorry, I'm rather distracted right now. I may or may not be checking the forums at work haha! :oops:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom