Car trip info

KHarm

Hello, on December 3rd we’re going to Mexico on a Car trip, the problem is that I don’t have anyone to take care of my Cham. If anyone knows what is needed to take my chameleon to Mexico ,( VICE VERSA )and back to the USA, If anyone knows what paperwork is needed like health, vaccines, ETC please inform me… THX

I would advise against taking your chameleon on vacation. They need specific environment control and that is just not feasible on a road trip. Not to mention the tremendous stress it would cause the chameleon.

How long are you going to be away and how old is your chameleon? If the chameleon is old enough it can go a couple of days without food but they will need water and heat and uvb. Perhaps you can hire a vet sitter to come and take care of your chameleon.

How long have you had the chameleon?

I would advise against taking your chameleon on vacation.
+1 for a whole lot of reasons.

If the chameleon is old enough it can go a couple of days without food but they will need water and heat and uvb.
I think UVB would be of least concern; it takes weeks to months for MBD to develop—but I digress.... 😔

I agree some type of proxy care would be best & preferable.

Normally, I would suggest contacting as many local veterinary offices as possible and ask to post something on their bulletin boards and/or ask if any staff would be interested in sitting (for a reasonable stipend). HOWEVER, some/many veterinary offices are still operating on Covid protocols, so the BB part may be moot.

My next thought is contacting local high schools/colleges for a responsible student who would be interested in taking care of him for a few...

A local reptile rescue might also be willing to take him temporarily for a stipend or 'donation'.

Ask your neighbors if they could run over to your house once or twice a day or if you have auto lights and mist than just to feed and pay them a good chunk of cash

My next thought is contacting local high schools/colleges for a responsible student who would be interested in taking care of him for a few...

Regarding your local school district...
  • Ask if they know of any local reptile educators who might be amenable to caring for your chameleon while you're gone.

• Contact your local middle school's (I'd say grammar school, but the kids might be too young, and K-4 doesn't usually have a designated) science teacher, and ask if they'd like a short-term classroom pet*.
    (Heck, a science/biology teacher might be a good candidate outside of a classroom!)

*Before the righteous mob arms themselves with torches & pitchforks, yes—this will obviously require some serious discussion(s) with the teacher(s) about not overwhelming/stressing the cham, 'look—don't touch', etc. beyond basic care & feeding.

Put out a call on Next Door for responsible high school students interested in reptiles or other reptile owners. The trouble is finding someone willing to deal with bugs, but once you've found someone who can handle bugs you're golden. They might even do it for an exchange or barter rather than pet sitting fee.

There are things you can do to minimize the number of times someone has to stop by. Auto lights and misters + feeding gallery. Check out this thread for some ideas:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/vacation-prepping.170604/

This'll be easier and safer and more enjoyable than trying to bring your chameleon along for a month. They need their territory, their routines, and specific temps/care to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom