Cannibalism?

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I just saw this video on instagram. Is this just some crazy chameleon eating his buddy or its normal for this to happen? Anyway I’m pretty shocked.

Or you can have someone else risk a parasite infection on their chameleon by going to YouTube, quite a few vids of veilds eating lizards, mice

From the evolutionary point of view, cannibalism is a dead-end. Exaise the better the species learns to eat itself, the sooner it will become extinct.
Thisnis why Mother Nature always builds efficient barriers or leta cannibals become extinct.

in the wild, xhameleons can eat each other but it apllies mainly to babies and adukts, which both lice in the same biotope bit different microbiotopes so that they as a rule come little in toch if at all (eg young of C calyptragus live in grass, semi adults in bushes and adults in high trees (predominantly) and there are other examples.

the shocking lictures of namaquensis withkut exception come from human manipulation: either they want to show the shocking cannibalism intentionally (what a morbide disgusting idea!in the case of strictly protected animals!) or it happened as an unwanted incident caused by ignorance or negligence

it can happen in the wild but it happens extremely rsrely and as an excemption of the rule rather than a rule

looking at natural history films, do not trust the fimmakers all what they show as natural behavior
They show what they were able to film and not always what the animals are really doing as a rule

I remember laughing my ass off at a youtube video of a beardy breeder.

"ok here is the mother, here is a clear tupperware full of her babies in a soaking bath"

You would have thought the tupperware was full of the juiciest crickets on earth...

From the evolutionary point of view, cannibalism is a dead-end. Exaise the better the species learns to eat itself, the sooner it will become extinct.
Thisnis why Mother Nature always builds efficient barriers or leta cannibals become extinct.

in the wild, xhameleons can eat each other but it apllies mainly to babies and adukts, which both lice in the same biotope bit different microbiotopes so that they as a rule come little in toch if at all (eg young of C calyptragus live in grass, semi adults in bushes and adults in high trees (predominantly) and there are other examples.

the shocking lictures of namaquensis withkut exception come from human manipulation: either they want to show the shocking cannibalism intentionally (what a morbide disgusting idea!in the case of strictly protected animals!) or it happened as an unwanted incident caused by ignorance or negligence

it can happen in the wild but it happens extremely rsrely and as an excemption of the rule rather than a rule

looking at natural history films, do not trust the fimmakers all what they show as natural behavior
They show what they were able to film and not always what the animals are really doing as a rule

Petr, you've been great to have around lately (y) very good points you make

Back
Top Bottom