candling eggs

norcalsteel

at what age will candling eggs show anything? My girl laid on the 22nd of July and I see nothing using my flashlight app. I had 2 misshaped eggs mold that I discarded but no evidence that they are fertile.

I think you should be able to see the germinal disc on day two. Basically look for small vein/spider web looking lines. Make sure you don't turn the eggs over. When did you breed your female?

In my experience, sometimes it can take a bit before they develop enough to easily determine a fertile egg. But, most likely if they didn't mold over yet they are probably fertile. Dez has a nice video on candling if you haven't already checked it out.

Scott

There only 2 weeks old. There's really not much going on right now in them. Most of the time when I get some infertiles mixed in my clutches they start to mold over inside of a few weeks. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Try again in 3-4 months. I know anticipation can be a killer. Lol. But you have a ways to go. Good luck!!

One other tip courtesy of chicken keepers who candle eggs all the time: be very careful about the temperature of your light source. You are putting the light (which is producing energy in the form of light and heat) directly on an egg that is developing a circulatory system right under that thin shell. You don't want to cook your eggs.

Back
Top Bottom